Power Source Dilemma

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cypher69

Reaction score
G'day guys, I'm in the midst of moving home.
I've got 3 viv set-ups for my frogs & the nominated room in the new place has only one power-point in the wall.

For the viv set-ups, I have plugged in:

*2 daylights- ON A TIMER
*1 nightlight- ON A TIMER
*1 fogger - ON A TIMER
*4 filters - 24/7
*2 Heaters- 24/7

I'm just wondering if you can recommend any good brands of power decks to run all these off one power point OR any other safety suggestions?

I don't want to separate the vivs to different rooms as I feel some may get neglected.

Is it possible to get an electrician to install more power points? What wattages are the lights , fogger , filters and heaters and what are your timers times set to?

You need to work out what the maximum wattage you will be drawing at any one time to make sure you don't overload your run. Large hardware chain stores sell an extension cord with 2 or 3 power points wired into it. These are a DIY wiring solution for sheds etc. you screw them to a work bench etc and then plug it in. Just make sure that there isn't too many large items running off the same circuit. In a place I was living if I had the kettle and toaster on at the same time as my oil column heater the breaker would trip.

Yeah I'm moving into a rental so getting an electrician to install more power points is prob out of the question.
I currently have 2 power decks plugged into 2 power points, that's why I'm a little concerned regarding the new place with only one power point in the wall....I may just have to run an extension cord from another room.
The main factor is the size of the timers on the power decks, they take up the space of 2 plug sockets...so even if I had a long 6 socket power deck, I may only to able to utilise 2 timers & space for one extra plug in appliance.

Yeah I'm moving into a rental so getting an electrician to install more power points is prob out of the question.
I currently have 2 power decks plugged into 2 power points, that's why I'm a little concerned regarding the new place with only one power point in the wall....I may just have to run an extension cord from another room.
The main factor is the size of the timers on the power decks, they take up the space of 2 plug sockets...so even if I had a long 6 socket power deck, I may only to able to utilise 2 timers & space for one extra plug in appliance.
You could pay an electrician to change the outlet from a single GPO to a double GPO and the owner would probably not even know. You can also buy special timers that are slimline to fit single outlet spots or buy a power board that has large spaces between outlets to cater for large plugs/timers.

You could pay an electrician to change the outlet from a single GPO to a double GPO and the owner would probably not even know. You can also buy special timers that are slimline to fit single outlet spots or buy a power board that has large spaces between outlets to cater for large plugs/timers.

I'm no sparky but wouldn't a double GPO still be running off single wiring inside the wall?
I'm familiar with the slimline LED/DIGITAL timers but from experience I always found them unreliable compared to the Kambrook "mechanical" timers with the pull-in, pull-out pins.

I'm no sparky but wouldn't a double GPO still be running off single wiring inside the wall?
I'm familiar with the slimline LED/DIGITAL timers but from experience I always found them unreliable compared to the Kambrook "mechanical" timers with the pull-in, pull-out pins.
Yes it does run off the same wire and that wire is good for between 25 amps and 20 amps depending on method of installation, in a house installation you will have either 1 , 2 or 3 power circuits running the whole house depending on the age of your house and size . The double GPO suggestion was to give you two outlets the same as you previously had to make things simple and use less on each powerboard. If you prefer the mechanical timers then use them , I have had no problems with my electronic slimline timers but depending on brand some are more reliable than others and you should stick with what works for you and source the larger spaced powerboards.

I use mechanical slimline timers made by HPM, they cost about $14 from Bunnings. I've never had one miss a beat.

Yes it does run off the same wire and that wire is good for between 25 amps and 20 amps depending on method of installation, in a house installation you will have either 1 , 2 or 3 power circuits running the whole house depending on the age of your house and size . The double GPO suggestion was to give you two outlets the same as you previously had to make things simple and use less on each powerboard. If you prefer the mechanical timers then use them , I have had no problems with my electronic slimline timers but depending on brand some are more reliable than others and you should stick with what works for you and source the larger spaced powerboards.

Cheers. Now I understand the advantage of the double GPO...yeah might have to get an electrician in.
And I'll def check out the slimmer timers by HPM.
Thanks again guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back