Problem sending woodies through the post - if you've sent / recieved can you help?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bravedave

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I've got a problem, and I'm hoping that someone out there can help. I send the odd carton of live woodies off to people here and interstate from where I live in SA. I breed extras over and above what I need to feed my beardies. I've been using Australia Post, Express Post, like everybody else seems to. I spend ages making a strong, well vented, heavily taped box. I've never had a problem with escapees. People getting them are happy with the condition of them on arrival, so it all worked.
The other day the local Post office manager called and told me head office had had a complaint from someone handling a box, and that I was not allowed to send them any more. This surprised me, as lots of people do it. I suspect that a post office worker saw a woodie (inside the box) through the flyscreen air vent and didn't like it. Moral of the story: make sure your insects are in no way visible from the outside of the box.
Apparently only bees, silkworms and leeches are allowed. I don't really want to argue with A.Post that heaps of others are using them for the same thing, and draw attention and stuff it up for people out there who are using them with no problem.

Does anyone have any advice on transport companies or couriers that have delivered shipments of crickets or woodies or any other live insect for that matter? I rang one company and the moment I mentioned 'live insects' the answer was 'NO'.

I'm really stuck. I've had a system that worked for years, and now with one phone call... gone.
Any suggestions on how to ship my woodies and companies that have done it for you, would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Dave

Greg Bylund who used to own and operate The Green Scorpion had big discussions and meetings with Australia post about sending the tarantulas/scorpions/centipedes etc that he was selling at the time through the post. Through those meetings he got the green light on anything that wasn't deadly and I believe he even had it in writing (though I am not 100% certain on that one).

The only restriction was that you had to pay a little more to have it bagged separately which was not a big deal. You would do well to talk to him about it mate over at the Australian invertebrate forum. As a side note my post office has never had an issue with anything I have sent. Some of it is MUCH worse than some roaches ;)

mm wonder how all those business people go sending woodies, crickets, etc thru the mail? im sure ive seen heaps on their own pages, maybe you could check out some of the sponsors etc here who advertise live feed and use Aust Post and ask them what they do?

i really would question it, i also guess someone might have thought it was a cockroach that was hitching a ride? or you could enclose them in what your posting now but cover with hard cardboard so they cant be seen?

Go to a different post office.

Cheers Brenton

hhmmm box of woodies or box of bees i know which one i'd prefer to handle. I got some sent to me via fastway couriers maybe look into sending through them and pass the cost onto the buyer

Make a "construction" of egg cartons separated by squares of cardboard held together with rubber bands. Place this inside a cloth bag. Put woodies inside and close using rubber band or string. Take a largish express post bag and make a few 1cm slits around the edges. Place bag inside envelop, and seal. Make sure it's addressed etc and place in yellow post box.

The woodies can easily breath through the cloth bag and the slits in the envelop allow enough gaseous exchange. I know of at least one provider who does this system all the time.

The postal worker wont be able to see inside, so none the wiser.

The really important thing is to make sure the cloth bag is secure and tied well.

livefoods unlimited (think that is their name) send via Aust Post and its shown on their site how they pack and send them so your local bloke is lying to you, maybe also go over your local blokes head to Aust Post Head Office and request clarification on what live reptile food can be sent via them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back