Pvc Enclosure?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowPython

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new enclosure and have been enlightened by PVC enclosures. However, I am having a lot of trouble finding something similar to the ones from: http://www.apcages.com/home/

Does anyone have experience with a similar retailer?
If PVC cages aren't in Australia without paying an arm and a leg, what recommendations can you give? Wood? Glass? I have read arguments for both sides.

I have an ~10 year old Children's python who deserves something a little bigger than his current enclosure.

Try URS, Ultimate Reptile Supplies. They do sell off excess stock of their own breeding enclosures from time to time, cheaper than new ones.
Otherwise, wood or melamine would be my recommendation; purely from the point of keeping your heating costs down.

I don't think PVC will handle the heat created by a basking lamp.

PVC generates very toxic fumes when charred .... including chlorine gas. Carbon monoxide is the most significant asphyxiant that will be created and is particularly dangerous because it has no taste. Hydrogen cyanide gas is also an asphyxiant created on charring, overheating PVC.

Refer to any organic chemistry text , a look at the material safety sheets for PVC .... umm the key is knowing PVC = polyvinylchloride .... and hey guess what a large part of it's chemical composition is , yep it's chlorine which exists as a Chlorine gas (Cl2) at and above room temperature.

Last edited:
And you don't think the manufacturers of pvc enclosures would take thar into account?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sorry PM didn't see your post until after I posted.

And you don't think the manufacturers of pvc enclosures would take thar into account?

unlikely .... most your commercial terrarium makers will not have the science background to be even be aware of the issue or know about the charring products mentioned when PVC is close contact to a very hot ceramic light fitting ( none of them are chemists, materials scientists, or materials engineers , more likely to be a carpenter or back shed handyman with little formal education ).
By the I am an engineer.

I don't know how you run your basking lights, but mine are run 15 - 16 hrs per day ,everyday. That's a long time if something is charring.

I don't have any myself, but do know people that have used them for years, well-respected people in the hobby, and none have experienced what you are saying "should" happen.
So you are a chemical engineer then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back