Pygmy python probe depth

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herpetology

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has the probe depths for M and F Pygmy pythons on hand

unable to find my books at the moment or any research notes

Just wondering if anyone has the probe depths for M and F Pygmy pythons on hand

unable to find my books at the moment or any research notes
Might be a little late replying, but I recall from Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons that females will probe to a depth of 2-3 subcaudals and the male 7-9 for pygmies.

Might be a little late replying, but I recall from Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons that females will probe to a depth of 2-3 subcaudals and the male 7-9 for pygmies.
yup got it sorted :) kinda.. i just know one of them is a male and the others a female... but who is who... anyones guess

yup got it sorted :) kinda.. i just know one of them is a male and the others a female... but who is who... anyones guess
I've heard that the males can sometimes have a broader head and longer tail then the female? Obviously not a reliable method though.

I've heard that the males can sometimes have a broader head and longer tail then the female? Obviously not a reliable method though.
i find that whilst not a reliable sign on their own, when multiple of these are all lining up (longer tails, broader head, bigger cloacal spurs) these together can be a *better* indicator than just the factors on their own

unfortunately theyre all i have to go off at the moment untill i learn to probe pygmies!

i find that whilst not a reliable sign on their own, when multiple of these are all lining up (longer tails, broader head, bigger cloacal spurs) these together can be a *better* indicator than just the factors on their own

unfortunately theyre all i have to go off at the moment untill i learn to probe pygmies!
That reminds me, I'll have to somehow learn to probe my stimmies after they hatch (obviously not until they're big enough). My females been lying in an inverted position lately so I'm hoping that means what I think it does. Guess I'll find out in a couple months time!

That reminds me, I'll have to somehow learn to probe my stimmies after they hatch (obviously not until they're big enough). My females been lying in an inverted position lately so I'm hoping that means what I think it does. Guess I'll find out in a couple months time!
9.9999/10times inverted position means shes getting ready to lay very soon so goodluck! have everything ready for eggs! get the incubator ready days in advance

9.9999/10times inverted position means shes getting ready to lay very soon so goodluck! have everything ready for eggs! get the incubator ready days in advance
Thanks mate, I've started up the incubator just to make sure she's working and so far it's good. I'm just wondering as to putting a laying box in there. Is it necessary, or will I not need it as I am artificially incubating the clutch?

More like 3/4 times. It's not even unusual for males to do it.

As for probe depth etc, they're more or less just another Children's Python. 2-3 for females and 7-9 for males may be fairly typical, but you definitely find individuals outside those ranges.

Back