python substrate??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nervous

Reaction score
hi all

im just wondering what is a good substrate to use for egg laying containers for pythons other than vermiculite..

cheers
ben...

I just use a cardboard shoe or paper ream box and get a normal household candle and rub it all over the box, i do this so the eggs do not stick to the box and are easily removed and throw away the box when finished ,it has worked well for me in the past.

im letting the female incubate herself ..

what about spugum moss "incorrect spelling"..

cheers

Peterjohnson64 please elaberate? and yes you can use spagnum moss but make sure it is dry as your female probably will not lay in it in your box if it is damp, she will probably lay some where else in your enclousure.

sorry Congo, I have only just got a pair of pythons after having my female for 9 years. In fact, I am only guessing she is a female because if she isn't then the male I purchased is totally gay. Anyway, I am hoping that they mate this year (maybe I am no hope) and I will need to put a nesting box in their 6 foot high by 4foot wide by 2 foot deep cage that is hottest at the top (duh!). anyway, is it OK to put the box on the floor or will she want it up higher? And then if that happens...how do I incubate. anyone local wanna go halves?

peterjohnson64 said:
sorry Congo, I have only just got a pair of pythons after having my female for 9 years. In fact, I am only guessing she is a female because if she isn't then the male I purchased is totally gay. Anyway, I am hoping that they mate this year (maybe I am no hope) and I will need to put a nesting box in their 6 foot high by 4foot wide by 2 foot deep cage that is hottest at the top (duh!). anyway, is it OK to put the box on the floor or will she want it up higher? And then if that happens...how do I incubate. anyone local wanna go halves?

Put the laying box on the floor & remove all perches & water bowl.
This will avoid her dropping the eggs from the branches or laying them in the water.

First q? peterjohn what type of python are they and also what jandc said is the best idea, but if you are going to maternally incubate move nest box up to the top and secure after she has laid her eggs and replace perches, keep temps in that region of cage at 30c and add another water bowl to cage to up the humidity until about the last week of incubation,

Hi Congo, They are both diamond/carpet integrades. I would not try to get her to maternally incubate I would want the eggs incubated. Got your PM. thanks very much.

vermiculite has been the best i have found 1part water to 1 part vermiculite by weight . heat to temp in incubator place eggs carefully in vermiculite then cover with glad wrap put some holes in it to lte fresh air in but be careful not to let your vermiculite dry out .if it does spray it lightly and use less holes in your glad wrap.it stayes pretty humid using this method i have had no dramas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back