QLD: Movement permit or movement advice?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vengeance

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've run into a bit of confusion in regards to exporting my reptiles from QLD and importing them to NSW. I understand I need an import permit as well as a license for NSW, all of which I will be applying for online once the lease for our new place is signed, so I don't think I'll run into issues in regards to the NSW department, as my reptiles are all class one. Regardless I'll be contacting them via phone soon, probably today.

Now, I am quite confused as to which method to take in regards to the QLD side of the paperwork. I phoned the DEHP and asked them if I needed special permission in regards to moving my reptiles to another State under my name as I've only had them for two-three months at most. I was told that I can move them without any extra permission, as they will still be under my name, just under a different State's permit. However I was told that I needed a movement permit, where I was expecting to require a movement advice. A little confused, I asked the lady that answered the phone for clarification, and if she meant movement permit, or movement advice. She said I definitely needed the movement permit, which needs to be mailed, faxed or emailed and costs $13.85. The problem is that it takes ten or so business days to process (this was the time frame she gave me) and our proposed move date is the 24th-28th, at the latest.

Now after looking on the internet, many posts claim that I only need the movement advice, not the movement permit. I'm inclined to use the movement permit, as the lady informed me that's what I had to use, though I'll be cutting time really short in this case. Also, on the movement permit I need to put the license details of the receiver (in other words, the details of the NSW license I have yet to apply for), but as I haven't yet applied for the license, do I have to wait until then to fill it out and send? This will cut the time even shorter than the proposed processing time... I don't want to break the law.

We'll be moving the reptiles with us, and have already set up how they are being moved, it's just the paperwork side that is confusing me.

In short, do I need a movement permit, as I was told by the DEHP, or a movement advice, as many posts on the internet, and even this page (scroll down to Permits and Approvals for the section I am refering to) say to use?

I just went through all of this and it was the biggest pain in the ****. The QLD department is beyond hopeless.

You need the movement permit. I called them and asked them to send it to me, because their website and information is so mixed about what you actually need to do. They emailed it to me (I can forward to you if you want). It's just a Word doc, so you need to fill it out by hand and scan it and email it, or fax it. Then, you have to wait for them to call you to get your payment details, unless you mail the form to them with payment. Then they will process the payment and mail the permit to you - I waited 2 weeks after the payment had been processed, still permit-less, and hassled them every day for 3 days until they finally got off their lazy butts, signed the permit and emailed it to me. A paper copy turned up a week later.

My advice - call them, call them, call them if you need it any time soon. Keep calling until they send the silly thing to you. Oh, also, you need your NSW reptile license before you get the QLD export, because you need to list yourself and NSW address as the receiver on the export permit.

NSW side on the other hand is a piece of cake. All online, instant payment, instant permit.

Thank you for the information! It sounds like this will be a royal pain in the neck. So it looks like I have to apply for the NSW permit ASAP, then send off the QLD movement permit application, all before applying for the NSW import permit. I should have gotten onto this as soon as I found out we were moving, which was last fortnight. I've just had one roller coaster ride of a busy month sorting things out.

I've got both the movement permit and movement advice forms downloaded, that was the one of the only clear things on their website, thank you for the offer of forwarding it though! I'll fill it out once I get my NSW permit, though I'm paying by credit card so they will have to ring me for payment details, adding more time onto it.

What happens if we move and I don't have a paper copy of the permit? The lease runs out here on the 7th of July but we've planned to move on the 28th of June, at the latest. It took close to over month for my record book to show up, when I was given a time frame of 5-7 business days. Hopefully this won't be a repeat case. :S

Its the exact same permit as what you would have gotten from who ever you bought your reptiles off of. You fill it out on the day and make sure that it accompanies the wildlife in transit. You then have one week to send the required forms from the back to the department. That is all that needs to happen. Do not fill it out until the day it is needed. Also you have to fill it out on the computer, derm to not accept and written ones.
Cheers Cameron

No worries :) The good news is the NSW reptile license is instantly granted (Government Licensing Service | Government services, simplified), so do that and you can fill out the QLD paper work straight away. I know exactly how you feel, I was in the same boat. Hence why I kept calling them and demanding they get a move on with the permit, especially after taking my money.

I moved without the paper copy, I actually demanded they scan it and email it to me the instant they signed it, which I think they did just to make me stop calling. All you need is the approved permit number, so you can enter it on the NSW import.

Also, the NSW logs are all online. Once you get your license you can activate your online record (DECCW | NPWS Native Animal Keeper Electronic Record Keeping System) and start logging everything in there. I actually experienced trouble activating mine, but an email sorted that out quickly. The NSW department is much more efficient.

Also, welcome, soon, to the land of speed cameras!

Its the exact same permit as what you would have gotten from who ever you bought your reptiles off of. You fill it out on the day and make sure that it accompanies the wildlife in transit. You then have one week to send the required forms from the back to the department. That is all that needs to happen. Do not fill it out until the day it is needed. Also you have to fill it out on the computer, derm to not accept and written ones.
Cheers Cameron

It would be really good if you didn't reply with incorrect information - the process is confusing enough already without disinformation. An export permit is not needed for transporting a reptile from whoever you bought it off.

It is just a movement advice. First time I ever imported an animal from out of state I rung them to check what was required. Also when I moved address this year I asked again and was given the same answer. What us needed is a movement advice. Any movement of reptiles between owners or place where they are kept a movement advice needs to be completed.

Last edited:
Cheers Cameron

Hi Cameron, thank you for the input. This is where I become confused, as there are two different forms. There is the movement advice, which is the form I received when I purchased my reptiles, and the movement permit; which I've been told by the DEHP that I need. However their website states that a movement advice will suffice for moving animals that require a permit throughout Australia.

I think I'll go with the movement permit, even if it's more stuffing around. They really need to clarify this information on their website.

No worries :) The good news is the NSW reptile license is instantly granted (Government Licensing Service | Government services, simplified), so do that and you can fill out the QLD paper work straight away. I know exactly how you feel, I was in the same boat. Hence why I kept calling them and demanding they get a move on with the permit, especially after taking my money.

I moved without the paper copy, I actually demanded they scan it and email it to me the instant they signed it, which I think they did just to make me stop calling. All you need is the approved permit number, so you can enter it on the NSW import.

Also, the NSW logs are all online. Once you get your license you can activate your online record (DECCW | NPWS Native Animal Keeper Electronic Record Keeping System) and start logging everything in there. I actually experienced trouble activating mine, but an email sorted that out quickly. The NSW department is much more efficient.

Also, welcome, soon, to the land of speed cameras!

We drove down there last weekend and the first thing I noticed was speed cameras everywhere, even in little towns! Those links will be very handy, thank you very much, CptLici!

I just need to be certain of our address before applying for the permit, I'll be finding out this arvo. I perused their site and it's just as simple as getting a QLD permit if applying online. I can't say the same for the movement advices, permits, lists and almost everything else QLD requires, though I understand why it's there. I hope NSW isn't as confusing with their regulations as QLD is. Logs are online? Thank the flying spaghetti monster for small mercies!

I'll try ringing them (the QLD DEHP) after a week of submitting it to see if I can get the number, or a copy of the permit emailed. If that fails I'll ring every three days as you did, though I don't want to be too annoying. :lol:

Cheers for the input everyone.

EDIT: Upon further investigation, I have found out that it was in fact a movement permit that I needed to complete. I've bolded the section that applies to my circumstances.

As stated on page 8-9 of 16 on the document titled Keeping wildlife privately in Queensland — Conditions and restrictions — Keeping and using controlled, commercial, recreational, restricted or international animals under a recreational wildlife licence. Which can be found here: http://www.ehp.qld.gov.au/register/p01389aa.pdf

What are wildlife movement permits?Wildlife movement permits are required where prior approval is needed to move an animal. It is not possible to
produce a comprehensive list of situations in which a wildlife movement permit is needed. However, some
situations that arise most frequently for which you will need a wildlife movement permit are:
• moving animals of particular cultural significance (koalas, echidnas, platypus and wombats)
• moving a live mammal interstate and the animal is intended for export to another country (see special
conditions below)
• for importation of certain exotic species into QueenslandGuideline
if you move a protected animal into or out of Queensland where you are not buying the animal from, or
selling an animal to another person (e.g. if you move residence into or out of Queensland or take an
animal interstate when you go on holidays).

The question has been answered, thank you to all who provided input! I've obtained the necessary NSW license now that I know where we're moving to for certain, it was quite a simple process! Now I just have to wait for the QLD movement permit to process, after paying the $13.85 fee of course. Once that's done I can get the NSW import permit. :)

Last edited:
The best way to find the right answer to what permit you need, is to try and fill in the NSW import license - you'll get to a part where it asks you for the export permit number, which is only obtainable upon receiving an approved movement permit. That was what cleared up all the confusion for me, and a phone call to the QLD department to double check. Good to see you found solid proof of it in writing, if only that were clearer!

Best of luck with hassling them and getting the approved permit :)

Dear everyone else who said you just need a movement advice: please stop giving out disinformation! You are only adding the confusion. It's okay to be wrong about this, it's not the clearest topic, however, there is solid proof that a movement permit is the applicable license in this situation, so stop telling people otherwise. This is something the QLD department is terrible at, and I'd recommend doing this at least 3-4 weeks prior to moving. Telling people they can do it on the day of moving simply isn't good enough.

It is just a movement advice. First time I ever imported an animal from out of state I rung them to check what was required. Also when I moved address this year I asked again and was given the same answer. What us needed is a movement advice. Any movement of reptiles between owners or place where they are kept a movement advice needs to be completed.

If I was moving to another property within QLD the movement advice would suffice, you are correct in regards to relocating within Queensland. However I need the Movement permit if moving interstate, it's just a pity that the DEHP website isn't clear in stating this, and requires some digging through numerous pages to find the .pdf with the information. Regardless, I appreciate that you tried to gave information to the best of your knowledge, even if somewhat incorrect.

The best way to find the right answer to what permit you need, is to try and fill in the NSW import license - you'll get to a part where it asks you for the export permit number, which is only obtainable upon receiving an approved movement permit. That was what cleared up all the confusion for me, and a phone call to the QLD department to double check. Good to see you found solid proof of it in writing, if only that were clearer!

Best of luck with hassling them and getting the approved permit :)

Dear everyone else who said you just need a movement advice: please stop giving out disinformation! You are only adding the confusion. It's okay to be wrong about this, it's not the clearest topic, however, there is solid proof that a movement permit is the applicable license in this situation, so stop telling people otherwise. This is something the QLD department is terrible at, and I'd recommend doing this at least 3-4 weeks prior to moving. Telling people they can do it on the day of moving simply isn't good enough.

I called them first as I thought I wouldn't need the NSW import permit until after I sorted the QLD stuff. However I have left the date far too long due to only finding out about moving last week, and only found out where we are moving to today. As it is, I'm not sure I'll get the paper copy of the permit in time as we're moving in two weeks, but if I can get the signed permit scanned and emailed to me, I can print it out at the library to take with me while moving and have the paper copy redirected to our new address.

I am glad to find proof to further back up what you have stated and what the lady on the phone stated; it's just a confusing affair when two different forms apply to two similar situations, except moving interstate requires the department to issue a permit once the application is filed. If only the website listed things more clearly, perhaps people wouldn't be as daunted by the paperwork. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back