Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

English

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all, can some please give me a list of the smallest monitors and their final adult size, and cage size for a pair please?

cant seem to find this on the interweb anywhere...

pigmy mulga monitors are probably one of the smallest monitor to keep and popular. they grow to around 42cm as an adult. an eclosure around 90x 50x 40 can keep up 2 3 adults. but that would be a minimum. so if u had that for a pair that would be good i guess. if u need more info pm me.

thanks TWENTYB...

zan I was hoping to use a 2ft cube aquarium to house a pair... would this be an option or cruel?

i am still tossing up between a netted and a monitor for this cube and just want to get it right.

id be wanting something a little bigger for a pair. but thats my opinion. if u made it so there was lots of rocks and stcks and stuff and kinda increase the floor area that way u might get away with it.

I can't remember which is the smallest monitor, but a 2x2 would be ok for them while they were young, and as they grow up move them into something abit larger..

my ackies are in a custom made coffee table, 3.5 x 2 and they are happy as at the moment, but in the next 6-9 months i'll be moving them into something bigger that will eventually house 4-6 adult ackies.

im pretty sure the pygmy mulgas are the smallest monitor. well the smallest monitor that is commonly kept. they are smaller then ackies

I'm pretty sure Northern Ridge-tailed Monitors are actually the smallest, with total length coming in at approx. 25cm, I'm not too sure if they're very commonly kept in captivity though.

Varanus brevicauda are the smallest Monitors in the world (reaching 23cm) and there are a few in captivity...in saying that, they are not exceedingly common and have a hefty price tag compared to many other small Monitors...

The smallest of the most commonly kept are Varanus gilleni (reaching about 40cm) are relatively easy to find in captivity, bulletproof to keep and my favourite of the smaller Monitors...

I would not keep them in anything smaller than a 3x2x2 tank and mine are currently kept in a 4x2x2 (for a trio)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back