Quarantine

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

africancichlidau

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Hi Y'all. As most of you will be aware I recently had a mite epidemic hit my collection through being an idiot and not quarantining new animals. This lazyness has now been corrected with the addition of a divisible 6x2 enclosure in my shed.
Now to my question. What do you clever quarantining herpers consider a safe period of quarantine? I have heard all sorts of opinions on this ranging from 2 weeeks to 6 months and one guy even said a whole year!
I thank you members in advance for your help :)

It depends, if i'm buying off someone i know then about a month just incase of mites.
If it's someone i don't know then around 6-8 months just incase theres something more serious.

i just come on to the computer to post a same sorta question as african, but mine was what sort of quarantine procedures do you take?
6-8 months is a damn long time, why so long? what about if you got an animal from the wild? with collection permits of course.

I think that the length of time for quarantine depends on what you are concerned about.

Ticks
paramyxovirus

Maybe what we should have is a checklist of the things we need to Quarantine for and the length of time for lifcycle or incubation. Some diseases may lie dormant during cold periods eg Winter and then surface once the weather start to warm up.

G

If i'm buying from someone i don't know then 6-8months. Diseases like IBD and a few others can take 6+months to take affect on the animal to the point where it starts showing sighs of illness. Up until then the animal can look perfectly heathly.
I reckon you deserve everthing you get if you catch animals out of the wild. Permits or not it doesn't need to be done anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back