Question about looking for snakes at night

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethan241

Reaction score
I am new to herping and I have a few spots in mind to search for snakes at night. I am wondering though as this spring as cooled down what temperatures would be considered best for looking for nocturnal snakes such as Stephen's banded snakes, death adders, brown tree snakes, small-eyed snakes, etc.

Hey mate, from the look of the species your searching for I would imagine your in se qld or north eastern NSW?
For all those species except for D.A's, wait for those balmy summer nights, like the sort that's hard to sleep without air con. Even better is an arvo shower of rain before hand and a hot humid night, also look for road kill, we had one spot near mudgereeba that a few times a year would see huge numbers of brown tree snakes crossing the road over a period of a week or so in spring and then again in Autumn.
For death adders again hot nights are best but around a 3-7 days before a full moon and then again 3-7 days after the full moon.
There are definitely peak times of activity in moving from different areas in relation to the seasons.
Good luck dude and have fun.

Hey mate, from the look of the species your searching for I would imagine your in se qld or north eastern NSW?
For all those species except for D.A's, wait for those balmy summer nights, like the sort that's hard to sleep without air con. Even better is an arvo shower of rain before hand and a hot humid night, also look for road kill, we had one spot near mudgereeba that a few times a year would see huge numbers of brown tree snakes crossing the road over a period of a week or so in spring and then again in Autumn.
For death adders again hot nights are best but around a 3-7 days before a full moon and then again 3-7 days after the full moon.
There are definitely peak times of activity in moving from different areas in relation to the seasons.
Good luck dude and have fun.
Thanks mate I am in se qld. Very keen to get out it’s been a bit cooler lately but very excited for it to warm up more.

Honestly, the best advice I have is just to get out there and look for things! Sure you may find nothing some trips (or even most trips!), but the more time you're out in the field looking the greater your chances are of finding what you're after.

Don't get me wrong, the advice that Ryan has given you above is awesome and can certainly help maximise your chances of findings things. But, I have gone out plenty of times in "perfect" conditions and found absolutely nothing. Conversely I've gone out on average at best looking nights and absolutely cleaned up. It's just the nature of well nature, try as we might we just can't predict whats going to happen when we head out herping. In the long run, it all just comes back to the more that you're out, the more experienced you become, and the greater your likelihood of finding things becomes. Not to mention, it's just always nice to get out and enjoy being in the bush even if you don't find exactly what you're after

Since you're based in SEQ, I would also recommend considering joining up to the UQ Ecological Society. The society regularly organises field trips to head out and see what animals they can find, and would be a great opportunity for you to meet and network with a bunch of like minded people. Membership to the society is open to anyone (you certainly DO NOT have to be a UQ student to join), and I've attached a link with some more information about the society for you to consider. https://uqecologicalsociety.weebly.com/

Cheers, Cameron

Latest posts

Back