Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kouran

Reaction score
Hi, im fairly new here, was just wondering how many snakes a standard reptiles license in Queensland allows you to keep, the wording is sort of vague "allows keeping of maximum of two restricted reptiles or amphibians other than dangerous reptiles" so, does this allow the keeping of two non-venemous pythons, or are non-venomous pythons not a restricted reptile?

Thanks in advance

So are woma, so 2woma or 2 gtp or 1 woma 1 gtp then you need to pay bit more to keep more of those.

Lol venemous pythons!! it means you can keep a maximum of two restricted reptiles and however many you want of other species

Sorry hit post with my thumb. We seem to be able to keep a lot of species on our license in QLD. I am trying to find a clear list also of what we can keep, what is restricted etc...
GTP's are the only restricted python I know of atm.

but i reckon they will make changes bout the womas dont ya reckon? there are so many around!!

Go to www.epa.qld.gov.au and follow links. You can find a very long list of what reptile/birds are classed as controled(birds), commercial, recreational or restricted.

Basically :

Commerial reptiles are those of family Agamidae (beardies, netted), Scincidae (pink touge, blue tounge, cunningham skink), Chelidae (turtles), Gekkondae (thick tailed, rough knob tailed gecko), Boidae (Childern's, spotted, stimsons pythons).

Recreational reptiles are those that are all least concern reptiles other than restricted reptiles.

Restricted reptiles are those of family Elapidae (black, brown, taipan, tiger, death adder, copperhead, collets), Hydrophiidae (all sp.), Laticaudidae (all sp.) and all threatened or rare or near threatened reptiles other than the following:
• [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]reptiles of the family Cheloniidae[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]• [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]reptiles of the family Dermochelydiae
• [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]freshwater crocodile [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]• [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]saltwater or estuarine crocodile[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]You are allowed only two restricted reptiles but unlimited, commercial and recreational reptiles.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
thanks for the help guys, I am however quite shocked by the ease that a license is granted, I just applied online and 2 minutes later I have printed out my license as a reptile keeper, seems like it should be more regulated.

Sorry hit post with my thumb. We seem to be able to keep a lot of species on our license in QLD. I am trying to find a clear list also of what we can keep, what is restricted etc...
GTP's are the only restricted python I know of atm.

Womas are also restricted.

Womas are restricted as green tree pythons ..you are allowed the maximum of two of these species or either one of each ..if you intend to breed womas or gtps then you need to apply for your restricted permit or if wanting more then two ..and then you will jump through some hoops as the EPA are really buckling down now and getting a permit is going to be alot harder ,which to me is a good thing..

im from qld..how do u apply for a venomous snake lisence!what do u need to do and have?

Hi sean
To apply for your Restricted Licence for elapids you will need to write a letter to epa with all your details and request them to amend the licence to your rec one.

what you need is
$175
and 2 written refrences from two unrelated sourses ( eg. two different keepers)
the refrences should cover confirmed visual assisment of

handling venomous reptiles in a safe and controlled manner ( both safe for keeper and snake)
First aid for venomous snake bites.
Husbandry requirments and knowledge

Also you may be the unlucky one that might get inspected prior to assisment of your licence.
I personlly was not inspected however I've heard a few tales that during the inspection process the ranger's sat down an gave the applicant a interview to determin if they were fitted to keeping elapids, they will also check that you have a "locked" sealed room for your elapids and that all your enclosures have locks on them.

Hope this helps

cheers
Sturdy

Sturdy, you are spot on with all that but i will add something just for peoples interest.

I applied for my vens licence a few weeks back and had the epa come over for the inspection. On top of a full audit of your books they will look very closely at how you keep your herps, their condition and ask you a million questions. Some things to consider before they come are:
-how you do things,
-how it will change with elapids,
-what you have as far as handling utensils,
-is the room secure including door locks, window locks, security screens so people cant come through the window and get bitten by an elapid,
- how much room you have to work with in the room where elapids are kept,
- where the keys to the room and enclosures are kept
- who else in the house has access to the room.
and anything else you can possibly think of they will ask also.

They did mention there are going to be more random audits and they are really coming down on keepers now, probably something to do with the recent findings of exotics and wild caught herps.

Bonus side is if you are in the gold coast if you get the two rangers that came to my house, they are stunning which makes the visit a little more enjoyable, first time ever my wife has shown a bit of jealousy with me talking to two women.

as much as i don't wish harm to anyone and the last thing the hobby needs is some goose dead in your herp room when you come home from work, but in all fairness they would deserve it.

Maybe that was just a consideration because i live in logan:shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back