Question about Varanus pilbarensis

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kankryb

Reaction score
My mate got a pair of Varanus pilbarensis youngsters a few months ago and they are really small but already laid eggs, How big are they when they reach maturity? Average, his are about 25 cm now full length

From what I can gather these guys are capable of breeding as sub-adults once they reach about 25 cm or more, which is approximately 50% of maximum length. Male get a little longer than females.

From what I can gather these guys are capable of breeding as sub-adults once they reach about 25 cm or more, which is approximately 50% of maximum length. Male get a little longer than females.

Hi, if a monitor is capable of breeding it`s an adult (meaning sexually mature and able to reproduce) we should not use our own definition of the word adult (at a certain age). Snout to vent length is the better indicator of sexual maturity, not age (just out of interest).

@murrindindi

Given the fact that the description “adult” when applied to humans, which everyone is familiar with, has a different meaning, I prefer to use the terms “sexually mature” or “capable of breeding/reproducing” instead of adult to avoid confusion. As far as I can see I did not give the word adult my own definition.

Snout-vent length might be the better measure to use but the information provided was only about total length, and so I simply responded in kind.

Latest posts

Back