R1 elapids

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddiecc

Reaction score
Iv been looking for R1 venomous for a while now in nsw, seems that hardly anyone keep them at all. Iv seen a few brown tree snakes but I’m looking for a terrestrial species.
If anyone has any yellow faced whips or something similar I’d love to have a chat about how I could acquire some !

he can't do this till he has experience with R1 elapids, he has to work his way up
you can, you need to do your venomous handling course (no exceptions on this as its the requirement), and depending on who the course is through you can get a reference check from the course runners to say that YES, you have shown competence with X species used in the course (usual stuff like RBB, Tigers, Death adders) etc. Otherwise, you can get a reference from a reputable elapid keeper.

you will notice many many people in NSW start with red bellies with not much more than keeping carpets/various lizards... R1 and R2 elapids are incredibly hard to come by... how many whip snakes have you seen for sale that have been suitable for beginners, You can find a hell of a lot more taipans than whipsnakes

R1 and R2 licensing classes are completely separate from R3-R5 in the way they work.

note point 2 and point 7; Category 1 being R3, 2-R4, 3-R5

1VicFxn.png

Yes a friend of mine did this, wanted R2 for RBB, went straight to R3 and got a death adder.
As you say a lot of people go straight to RBB from python but RBB are a fairly placid critter and no-one has died of a bite since European settlement

Yes a friend of mine did this, wanted R2 for RBB, went straight to R3 and got a death adder.
As you say a lot of people go straight to RBB from python but RBB are a fairly placid critter and no-one has died of a bite since European settlement
RBBs are R3 and Death adders are R4. I’ve been told by a mate of mine who has kept Vens for a number of years to do this when I am ready to get my Vens license: get a Brown tree snake and keep that for a couple years, and do some Vens handling courses, as well as get experience by helping him with his collection to get my hours.

RBBs are R3 and Death adders are R4. I’ve been told by a mate of mine who has kept Vens for a number of years to do this when I am ready to get my Vens license: get a Brown tree snake and keep that for a couple years, and do some Vens handling courses, as well as get experience by helping him with his collection to get my hours.
Okay, maybe I got the number wrong but he jumped the queue. He did have R2. My son has a trio of BTS, such placid little things only eat hopper mice

I think the only thing about BTS are the fact they are mildly venomous
This is 1 reason why they are a good starter towards vens, you can't die if you happen to get bitten (unless you have an allergy). I picked them up for him and I just grabbed a handful of noodles, no agro whatsoever.

Thank you everyone for your reply’s , I’ll look into the venomous handling licence and go from there

Latest posts

Back