RBBS & eels

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grahamh

Reaction score
Anyone ever heard of or seen a RBBS attack or eat an eel. My youngest son said he saw two eels fighting in the dam near the house. There's a resident RBBS on just about every dam and I've seen a nice one on a few occasions on that one (saw it yesterday and got a couple of photos - not real good). I'm sure I read somewhere that RBBS are known to eat eels - I wondered if that's what Jamie saw.

ANy comments :?:

mating

.... or a little "rough trade" foreplay?? :shock:

RBBS

One of our cuter snakes - a red bellied black snake! :eek:

Found it

This is an excerpt from an article I found at http://www.smuggled.com/melsna1.htm

RED-BELLIED BLACK SNAKE, Pseudechis porphyriacus (Shaw, 1794)
???Most specimens are caught in the vicinity of water, which it may frequently enter in search of food, or to hide from potential predators. Roberts (1983), documents a case where a Red-bellied Black Snake hid from a potential predator in a cool creek. The 'specific heat' of the water ensured that the snake's body temperature dropped rapidly when it entered the water. This enabled the snake's metabolic rate to slow sufficiently to allow it's breathing rate to slow down enough to let the snake remain totally submerged for extended periods.
When searching for food, this species won't hesitate to climb small trees and shrubs. Diet is varied, but frogs tend to dominate, meaning that Cane Toads are exterminating this snake in northern areas (Qld and NSW). Worrell (1970), plate 59, shows a Red-bellied Black snake consuming an eel head first. I once had a 1.3 m. captive male specimen attempt to consume a 1 m. male Keelback Amphiesma mairii, who shared the same cage. The Black Snake was unable to completely swallow the Keelback, and after a period, the now dead Keelback was regurgitated??..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back