recommendations for venomous handling courses in NSW

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ameliasark

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I will be travelling to Peru for two months in 2023 to undertake a Herpetology internship in Puerto Maldonado - I want to get the most out of this course and in order to be as hands-on as possible during fieldwork I want to get some sort of certification in the handling of venomous reptiles.
Any recommendations you may have for people who offer training that includes some sort of certificate would be great. I am aware that internationally recognised certificates are complicated and rare; really any proof of course completion will do.
The two courses I have found are offered by John Mostyn (from 'venomous snake training') and Raymond Hoser (from 'snake busters'). Without offending anyone I want to make it clear I am not comfortable undertaking any training offered by Raymond Hoser, a few people have recommended his course to me and even though it is supposedly the only 'internationally recognised course in Australia' ... I'd prefer to steer clear of his company.

Any other recommendations for courses I may have missed that offer accreditation?

Last edited:
definitely not hoser... maybe 20 years ago!
Mostyns have the best course in NSW in my opinion, they give you all kinds of experience and not just puppy dog tame snakes... the snakes they give you to handle can and will try to strike at you in a safe space next to 2 professionals, John being the Venom collector for ARP few years ago

Latest posts

Back