red lamp overnight? re: resp infection

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atlas

Reaction score
hey! It’s pretty bloody cold at night where I’m at, and while I wasn’t completely unprepared apparently it wasn’t enough; I have a constant CHE overhead both my hatchling enclosures for ambient heat and a lamp on both during the day. When the cold hit, I gave them both seperate heat mats. The spotted Mac in the the larger tank however has a minor respiratory infection; noticed it on Saturday and got him into the vet today (our reptile vet is only on three days a week). I caught it pretty quick, so no antibiotics, but it was recommended I up his heat by 4 degrees and it should fix itself in two or so weeks, but to keep an eye on it.
my question is, can I keep a red lamp on his tank at all times? The CHE +heat mats apparently just aren’t cutting it at night. If not, what’s my alternative? Bc of the way these two tanks are set up, another CHE is inefficient…

where are you located that a heatmat + a CHE isnt cutting it?

do u have any pictures

where are you located that a heatmat + a CHE isnt cutting it?

do u have any pictures

Down south NSW, right next to the ocean. it’s a low income area so our house is built like a cardboard box and we have no general heating (landlord is being bloodyminded)
The other tanks are all fine because they’re big, but these hatchlings are in very small tanks which makes it harder to heat them properly and give theme hot+cool sides, but it’s alright for what I’ve got. One of the hatchlings was dumped on me by a ‘friend’ two weeks ago - he’s in the tiny tank temporarily. He doesn’t have a heat lamp, but the CHE gives him heat and cool
The red light looks wide, but it’s only a small lamp and the heat doesn’t actually make it as far as the light. Like I said, this is only a problem overnight! It’s the big tank that has temp problems for the respiratory infection!
Edit : small tank doesn’t have heat mat overnight bc of its proximity to the CHE

Attachments

• F79D0FBC-7D67-492E-8F9F-28B501FB9841.jpeg
    F79D0FBC-7D67-492E-8F9F-28B501FB9841.jpeg
    172.7 KB · Views: 18
I would restart your whole setup, remove the CHE and red light this is unecessary

Get Higher wattage heat mat (7-14W max) covering 1/3 of floor space for each enclosure these will easily achieve viable temps during the night and day
Go to your local fruit and veg shop, ask for any styrofoam boxes and use glue or double sided tape cover the outSide of the sides and and back and Majority of the mesh on top of the glass (keep a little exposed so air can get in and out)

You're losing all your heat through the glass and when it gets cold, the glass is surrounding your animals from all sides so its almost like a freezer, similar to your house, theres no insulation!

KISS
Keep
It
Stupid
Simple

I would restart your whole setup, remove the CHE and red light this is unecessary

Get Higher wattage heat mat (7-14W max) covering 1/3 of floor space for each enclosure these will easily achieve viable temps during the night and day
Go to your local fruit and veg shop, ask for any styrofoam boxes and use glue or double sided tape cover the outSide of the sides and and back and Majority of the mesh on top of the glass (keep a little exposed so air can get in and out)

You're losing all your heat through the glass and when it gets cold, the glass is surrounding your animals from all sides so its almost like a freezer, similar to your house, theres no insulation!

KISS
Keep
It
Stupid
Simple
Sweet, I’ll do what I can with that, thanks. I’m moving house in like three weeks so I’m hoping to get spotted Mac fixed up by then..

KISS
Keep
It
Stupid
Simple
I'll +1 this.

Floor heat is your friend. If you need more night time heat, use a stronger heat mat or cord (for most pythons floor heat is all I would use)

I'll +1 this.

Floor heat is your friend. If you need more night time heat, use a stronger heat mat or cord (f
[automerge]1624276824[/automerge]
Sweet, I’ll do what I can with that, thanks. I’m moving house in like three weeks so I’m hoping to get spotted Mac fixed up by then..

KISS
Keep
It
Stupid
Simple
I agree with this solution in the short term. Your problem starts with having glass enclosures, glass doesn't hold heat and the mesh lid just adds to the problem.
Your long term solution is to get rid of the glass tanks and get some wooden enclosures

Latest posts

Back