Red naped snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darlyn

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Anyone keep them?
Know anything about them?

If nobody breeds them, why not?

Not wanting to sound obtuse.... Are these also known as orange naped snake? the local Indigenous called orange naped snake "Moon" snakes? the ones I am talking about are only small(about 30cm aprox)a soft grey in colour with a delicate head small mouth and an orangy coloured band around the neck? I saw them everywhere on the western NT side of the gulf.

Moon snake.jpg

Last edited:
Crystal that is another species in the Genus. Red Naped Snake Furina diadema, Orange Naped Snake Furina ornata.

I've seen Orange Napes which are very similar to Red Napes advertised for sale recently.

They are stunning snakes. But a tad small I figure might be complications with feeding these? Do they take fish or do you need to use small geckos/skinks or tube feeding?

Furina diadema by Stephen Mahony, on Flickr

Hey scorps, why did you stop keeping them?

Anyone else with any info about these guys?

Last edited:
Hi darlyn,

I kept both species for a little over two years. I had a pair of each, all WC. I managed to breed the moon snakes (pure luck)

Pretty easy to keep. They are shy snakes, I would never see them during the day. Fairly active at night but they were quick to take cover once I entered my snake room.

Food had to be offered live and left in their enclosure overnight. After about 6 months of feeding skinks and with a bit of scenting, I got them onto Asian house geckos. Only problem with the geckos is they could sit on the roof\walls of the enclosures and survive for up to a couple of days.

No heating was used. (Darwin)

A very calm snake to handle, they would just cruise through my hands like a baby childreni...

Living in Darwin, I can't see you having to put much effort into keeping either species :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back