Reptile Collection stolen from NSW Wildlife Reserve

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
APS will be bringing out the following attire to those in this thread dedicated to protecting the world from behind a keyboard screen...

9tH7jzD.jpg

On a side note, this thread is going downhill fast, lets keep it clean and on topic and stop the "Ï am holier than thou attitudes". All it achieves is to ruin it for everyone else.

Again mate it's already well known. I don't know why you think this is new info and that I've just opened myself up for a criminal invasion. Lol anyway, this has given me some laughs. Dont worry about me or my turtles or anything else... we're perfectly fine. I appreciate your concerns though but yeah... Nevermind.
To me and I think everybody else at this forum, it is not already known. Undesirable people that may frequent some sites (here) may not frequent other sites (AFT) where you have posted this information before and this opens you up for trouble. Take from it what you will but I for one wouldn't be putting my information out there so readily if I had one of a kind animals.

Last edited:
Anyone and everyone in the turtle scene knows... All good.

Last edited:
When they have home security cameras that fire 50mm rounds for the general public, maybe I'll consider switching up.
Now that's something I'd be interested in !!
[doublepost=1512801642,1512797178][/doublepost]I am about to build an outdoor enclosure for our lacie's but our security ATM is a couple of chooks,so auto-fire 50mm submachine guns sounds good to me,might get rid of the feral cats too.

Now that's something I'd be interested in !!
Yeah, they'd be the only cameras worth having. Modern tech is a joke... you see someone with mass locks and cameras and it just screams "valuable sh*t worth stealing and I've got the equipment to record you doing it... which will be useless if you are wearing a hoodie or balaclava" the only cameras worth having are dash cams. They might actually save you some $$$.

Some people's comments about a dog won't stop a bullet lol seriously... this is Australia... people are carrying an oxy to torch some useless locks before going Rambo with an AK47 on someone's dogs.

Last edited:
Cameras are a very valuable security tool. I know of armed robbers that have been convicted based on the shoes they were wearing at the time of the robbery.

I know of plenty that aren't ever convicted. And then there's those that are and just get wrist slapped and sent on their way. A camera is as useful as the justice system which we all know is useless.. gimme a few good dogs any day and some good old vigilante justice.

The best defence is layered security so it takes bad guys a long time to get to the goodies with risk increasing all the time.
My neighbours and I have street cameras that will record any suspicious activity like casing the place. Then there are high perimeter walls and fences that will require ladders, then the german shepherds that hopefully have been trained not to touch anything thrown over the fence, they are alerted by the black cockatoos that are super sensitive to any new or unusual activity in the vicinity. Even if they get past the dogs they will be on CCTV all the time, I can pick up any of this vision from my phone. Next are more gates, security shutters and very secure laminated glass windows and deadlocked doors, any entry here triggers the monitored alarm including images to my phone, I can hear conversations and talk back.
Behind my garage door is a wall with another door and both doors to my reptile area are locked. Get inside and there are more cameras and alarm sensors and all the snake cages are locked so the glass will have to be smashed one at a time.
A lot of time will have elapsed to get this far and either I, my very large neighbour or the police will be on the scene.
In addition there are some unconventional security measures in my snake room that will be the bad guys worst nightmare.
Not everyone can or will want to go to this trouble, I purchased the right sort of property in the first place with a lot of security in place and don't have a lot of people coming and going.

The best defence is layered security so it takes bad guys a long time to get to the goodies with risk increasing all the time.
My neighbours and I have street cameras that will record any suspicious activity like casing the place. Then there are high perimeter walls and fences that will require ladders, then the german shepherds that hopefully have been trained not to touch anything thrown over the fence, they are alerted by the black cockatoos that are super sensitive to any new or unusual activity in the vicinity. Even if they get past the dogs they will be on CCTV all the time, I can pick up any of this vision from my phone. Next are more gates, security shutters and very secure laminated glass windows and deadlocked doors, any entry here triggers the monitored alarm including images to my phone, I can hear conversations and talk back.
Behind my garage door is a wall with another door and both doors to my reptile area are locked. Get inside and there are more cameras and alarm sensors and all the snake cages are locked so the glass will have to be smashed one at a time.
A lot of time will have elapsed to get this far and either I, my very large neighbour or the police will be on the scene.
In addition there are some unconventional security measures in my snake room that will be the bad guys worst nightmare.
Not everyone can or will want to go to this trouble, I purchased the right sort of property in the first place with a lot of security in place and don't have a lot of people coming and going.
Good on you,for your security setup;I live in the burbs and have to make do with what I can.

I couldn't be bothered typing this much to make my point.

Sorry to disagree with your summation of the thread Imported_tuatara, but it really had little to do with “rarest turtles and dogs”. There were some worthwhile points made on security, but sadly the value of these tended to be lost amongst the more ridiculous comments passed as ‘chest-beating' or thoughtlessly, as a result of the game of one-upmanship being played out.

So why did it go this way? IMO there are lots of reasons... reacting to perceived personas, making gross generalisations that should allow for differing individual circumstances but don’t, ‘digging-in’ and blithely refusing to give ground thereafter, having to get in the last word, be it written or graphic and a lack of humility.

It is really important to state here that the above criticisms do not apply in part or full to all participants in the discussion. (It should also be said that I have been guilty of some of the above myself at various times.) It is when reading a thread like this, which should provide clear worthwhile comments and advice to assist members, when I really feel for Stuart and what he is doing…

It was closed while I was constructing my post above. Had I directly typed in my response it would have been registered. However, my two finger typing skills are abysmal, hence I construct most of my posts in Word and then cut and paste. I explained that (in essence) to Stuart and asked that he consider allowing me to enter my post given those circumstances. To his credit he has done so.

I would suggest that whether the thread remains open is dependent upon the nature of any further posts. If they are frivolous or along the lines of the latter part of the thread then I would expect the thread to be concluded, as these sorts of posts are of no positive value to the wider readership.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back