Reptile for 10yr old

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zacharooney

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm a father of a 10yr old who loves animals, and really wants a reptile. He did own a pygmy bearded dragon for a few years when he 6 or 7, but just didn't spend enough time with it and we ended up giving it to a friend who really was excited on having it.
He's grown up a bit more now (well that's what he tells me) and wants to own another reptile that is interesting and fun and something he could hold if he wanted to. We looked at Boyd's Forest Dragon, but were told they are very flighty and are more of a display reptile.

So, I was hoping for some suggestions? and also if there were any people in Brisbane that have reptiles for sale that we could get a reptile from?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated

Depends relly best best isd to get reomendasions from vetrens in regards to beginners all so you need to take into account exsspences unlike the other reptiles beginner pythons wont brake the bank compared to others that would requier everyday feeding such as lizzerds not to mension lizzerds and skinks reqiering lots of matanence ie feeding and uvb if you want low matenance reptiles go with a python like stimsons and childrens and spotted thay only reqier feeding once a week ie every 7th or 10th day and spot check cleaning and a monthely compleat clean and thare warter needs to be changed once aweek acording to some pepole

I would recommend bluetongue skink or pinktongue skink, easy to care for and don't mind handling, if you got space I would chose a bluetongue, more fun and much easier diet

I'd go for a Blue-tongued Lizard or one of the Antaresia Pythons (a Children's or Spotted Python). A Bearded Dragon might also be appealing, but they're a little spikey and have slightly more challenging requirements. A Children's Python would be the easiest to care for. Ultimately the choice largely comes down to personal preference. For me personally, the choice would be a Children's Python, without question, but if you're after a lizard, the easiest option for a lizard which is good to handle is a Blue-tongued.

If it's for a 10 year old I would consider it essential that an adult oversees everything and takes full responsibility in case the child loses interest or lacks the necessary skill or motivation.

Latest posts

Back