Reptile theft - Let's help each other...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Facebook is a great asset to thieves , I stopped using it years ago because I don't trust FaceBook as a company and I don't like strangers having access to information about me and my life and my stuff and hobbies and interests , and I don't need hundreds or thousands of total strangers wanting me to "Friend Them".

too true, I use fakebook but I have a fake name and location and it's only used for my reptiles, I don't do family stuff or friend stuff, I couldn't give a $h17 what you had for lunch.

I’d be more worried about the daily 1000s of database leaks of public forums, than a trillion dollar company... you always have the option to not post ur private details on Facebook/set it to only friends can see

6AABC1D5-8A6B-453A-B25E-879F06531A42.jpeg

I have 20 x 335W panels on my roof with expensive micro inverters to maximise output regardless of partial shade etc and I do not get enough output on the sunniest of days to cover half my usage so a battery is useless and will never be charged. Even if I could double the number of panels by perhaps mounting some on the ground plus on sheds (another $10,000 plus) I will still not have any power to charge a battery and what about cloudy rainy days when solar produces almost zero power, how is that going to provide heat and/or air conditioning for my animals and who is going to pay for replacing the whole solar/battery setup after 10 years. Sorry but it will be 10 years before renewables are anywhere near an option for heavy users let alone business and probably hydrogen fuel cells then not solar.

I would not have wasted my time or $$$ getting solar in your situation Ken... seems like a pointless ordeal if you're not prepared to have a few trees removed to make the solar worthwhile.

Just turn the trees into solar panels.. sheesh
I turned a 50ft, 40 year old jacaranda planted by the original owner of my house into garden mulch in 90 mins just prior to my solar install. Best $770 I ever spent. He now lives about 250m down the street... Should have seen his face when he walked past and saw them cutting it down. LOL Priceless. :D

20170906_120924.jpg

It would have cast a shadow over my panels from 3pm onwards.
20180817_082306.jpg
20180817_084453.jpg
Added bonus... the tree lopper brought this nest down for me... The blasted Peewee nest... finally, the duo of peewees that have been relentlessly attacking every window on my house for years and crapping all over the window ledges are gone!
20180817_105024.jpg

Now nothing stands in the way of my free energy!
20180409_140650.jpg

I would not have wasted my time or $$$ getting solar in your situation Ken... seems like a pointless ordeal if you're not prepared to have a few trees removed to make the solar worthwhile.
The shade is not really a big problem except in winter when the sun is low and the micro inverters give me maximum output even when say one panel is shaded but it does limit me to only a third of the available roof which is why I went for the highest wattage panels. I knew it would never cover my usage but it does mean my quarterly bill is $1200 rather than $2000 plus. The investment in the solar I consider part of the cost of the property along with things like lining and insulating garage and sheds for my animals, security, fences etc.

@ yellowtail wow you must really be sucking off the grid with that big a bill ! ( which means the power company LOVES you) .When my bill passed $800 a couple of years ago I thought it's time for solar. I now have 19 x 270W panels and reduced my bill to under $600 (at first) I have no AC,no dishwasher,no pool and only about 35 reptiles but the bill gets higher every year. With my 3 phase inverter I can add 3 more panels and a battery but it's currently $8k, and have been advised to wait a year or so because batteries are getting cheaper every year due to a glut of lithium on the market.

I looked into installing a 5kW solar panel system (no battery) for the home but for me the payback was too long (about 6 years) so I have put solar panels for my home on hold.
I'll revisit this every year and when the payback becomes maybe 2 or 3 years (including battery storage) I'll give it the go ahead.

I am mindful of the way solar panel technologies are improving , and how their prices are moving , same with inverter systems , and home battery storage system. I anticipate batteries will be less than 1/2 the current price they are now.

I looked into installing a 5kW solar panel system (no battery) for the home but for me the payback was too long (about 6 years) so I have put solar panels for my home on hold.
I'll revisit this every year and when the payback becomes maybe 2 or 3 years (including battery storage) I'll give it the go ahead.

I am mindful of the way solar panel technologies are improving , and how their prices are moving , same with inverter systems , and home battery storage system. I anticipate batteries will be less than 1/2 the current price they are now.
My power bill has gone from $850 per quarter to around $12-$16 per quarter... the longer you put it off the more $$$ you're wasting paying for electricity. The best time to get solar panels was 10 years ago, the next best time is now.
My 6.4kw system is battery ready. I'll buy the battery as soon as I have the coin.

That's a impressive change , how long before your solar system pays for itself and you move to a situation where your electricity is TRUELY FREE to you ?

How many years are depreciating the system CAPEX over. ( I think 6 years is reasonable for working out a rate depreciation.)

Last edited:
In my own situation, The system will have paid for itself in 3.5 years. With a performance warranty of 25 years on the panels and a 10 year warranty on the inverter, can't go wrong. The price of electricity is only going in one direction. My only regret, not getting on board when the 44c/kw rebate was on offer.. if I had of, I'd be getting quarterly cheques for $500+. My in-laws get the 44c and with their tiny 1.5kw system they're getting cheques for $150/quarter and will continue to do so until that scheme is scrapped in 2028. I'm currently getting credited 10c/kw and am making about $1.80-$2/day where it could have been $7-$9/day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back