Reptiles Australasia magazine

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterrat

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Finally, I had a chance to read the first issue of Reptiles Australasia and I can't see what the fuss is about "too much non-reptilian contents". The mag features seven articles and they are all about reptiles and amphibians. The photographic contents consists of 88 (plus the cover) images of reptiles, amphibians and people associated with herps as apposed to 19 images of other animals, plants and landscapes. I would think it's a very healthy ratio.
The way I see it, this magazine is intended for readers with broader interest in herpetology, not just what we keep in our enclosures or what crawls in Australasian habitats. The ratio of articles concerning conservation, research and captive husbandry is also well balanced.

During my recent stay in Sydney, I heard that there is a third reptile magazine in making. Apparently, the publisher (to be) wants to show to the other two "how it's done". Great motivation!
Why can't there be some harmony amongst us, why to take sides with one mag or the other? I would think they cover different enough topics and are both interesting in their own right. Personally, if there were 5 herp mags in this country, I would subscribe and send article to all of them (if I could).
Lets hope that one day .......

Is this an entry level magazine Michael, or is it better quality like Reptiles Australasia? Will it be sold in newsagents?

Will it be another "people's magazine"? I reckon the more people's magazines we have the better - those for which profits are a secondary consideration - and the publishers do what they do out of the goodness of their hearts... there's not enough of it around these days...

Jamie

Is this an entry level magazine Michael, or is it better quality like Reptiles Australasia? Will it be sold in newsagents?

I don't know much, as I said "I have heard" (gosh I hate this phrase!!!!) .... but I may be able to find out bit more soon.

Why can't there be some harmony amongst us, why to take sides with one mag or the other? I would think they cover different enough topics and are both interesting in their own right. Personally, if there were 5 herp mags in this country, I would subscribe and send article to all of them (if I could).
Lets hope that one day .......

I have to agree with you 100% Michael..... I too am more than happy to pay full subscriptions for all reptile magazines that are produced in our beautiful country... There should be professional harmony between any reputable company..... There is definitely room for more magazines here and I look forward to reading them as they become available..

Regards Deb

Bensen lets hope so to all your questions..... only change the LIKE to THAN..... Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder........

Last edited:
I was quite impressed with quality, the photos were stunning!!
I haven't yet subscribed but I do plan to.
I was stoked to be able to buy a couple of copies at the last AHS (on special as well, thanks guys), oh and thanks again for the John Handcock Michael, much appreciated.
Just curious will the future issues be also available for purchase at AHS meetings or was it just a once of promo?

Cheers Josh

Last edited:
What are the 3 mags ? sorry for the stupid question.

scales and tails, Reptiles Australasia, is there another reptile magazine out ?

please keep this discussion civil people.. there's no finger pointing at any poster in this thread and Im just reminding everyone to please be nice ok. thanks

I don't understand why people will support/ pay full subscription to all Herp magazines in this country, just because they're made here. I have seen this idea posted by a number of people a number of times.

I will support a good quality magazine for what it is, not where it's from. Reptiles Australasia gets my support because it's good, simple.

I don't understand why people will support/ pay full subscription to all Herp magazines in this country, just because they're made here. I have seen this idea posted by a number of people a number of times.

I will support a good quality magazine for what it is, not where it's from. Reptiles Australasia gets my support because it's good, simple.

Makes perfect sense to me E1!

Jamie

I don't understand why people will support/ pay full subscription to all Herp magazines in this country, just because they're made here

Don't try to understand, it doesn't matter what someone else supports, does it? Why do so many people care what others think, support or are reading? Personally I'm only interested in reading about Australian herps, we're obviously all different so just be satisfied with whatever you're subscribing too.

I totally agree with you, it's the contents that matters, not where it's produced. I would think some people subscribe to more than one mag because they have diverse and broader interest in herpetology / herpetoculture. No one single mag can cover all aspects of h/h.

I subscribe to Reptiles Australasia because that's the only way I'll get issue 2. I get Scales and Tails, Practical Reptile Keeping and the US Reptiles magazine at our newsagents and I used to buy Reptiles Australia there as well. I buy them all because I can't get enough herp stuff in my hands. This new one certainly suits my tastes though, but I will still continue to buy the others.

I received my copy today, I havnt had a chance to read it yet but it looks great and I think it is worth the money. Well done to all involved.
Chris

Australia reptile magazine

I have tried to find where it is sold, I haven't been succussfull, I can't afford to buy a yr supply online, can anyone tell me where near me they are sold please ? I'm in rosewood, qld

I think that it is only available by subscription.

Is your birthday soon?? Christmas?? Get someone to buy it for you as a present.

I used to get subscriptions to magazines as presents...best pressie you can get. At least you get something that you actually enjoy!

I have tried to find where it is sold, I haven't been succussfull, I can't afford to buy a yr supply online, can anyone tell me where near me they are sold please ? I'm in rosewood, qld

I subscribed for this mag nearly a month ago and still no mag, has anyone else had any problems receiving theirs, does it normally take this long. I have had no response from emails I have sent them either.
I hope I get it soon....
Cheers Dusty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back