Request for help from non-member

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lutzd

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Received the following email yesterday. Can anyone help??

"Hi I am in Ipswich SE Qld. I walked out my front door this morning to find what appeared to be a baby snake about 30-45 cm long shiny black with a yellow ring around its neck.

Any ideas what types this is. I know browns & red belly blacks as we avoid them regularly but I have never encountered a black shiny with yellow ring on neck.

Help would be appreciated as I have a small child and if something happened I could tell the hospital what it may be.

Elizabeth"

Hey Inny, doesn't sound like the golden crowned one, going by your link? Did she say shiny black with yellow ring around the neck? I don't know what a whip snake looks like.

In that area I would also consider a Verreauxs Skink . Shiny chocolate to black with a half crescent gold band around the back of the head. Vestigial legs difficult to see from a distance.

Could also be a Dwarf Crowned Snake going by a book i'm looking at.

My bet's on a Verreaux's, crowned snake really arn't that shiny, and Verreaux's are as common as dirt here in Ippy, here's a pic
02210005_G.jpg

Lol, yes, it is a skink RR, they are mainly found in loose soil/grass clippings or under rocks & garden edges thus the small limbs, but have also seen them crawling across the grass early in the morning.

Don't get those down here in the Riverland, but if we have a party out under our Pepper Tree, lots of legless lizards come out amongst all the feet in the dirt, and all the sheilas freak out thinking they are little snakes. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back