Rescued tree frog! Advice needed!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alsmi

Reaction score
I've rescued what looks to be a dainty green tree frog around 4cm long, from a shipment of plants from Queensland.

So far I've managed:

- An aquarium that's 40cm * 35cm * 35cm.

- fibre glass fly wire cover tightly pegged down, have half covered with perspex

- A few inches of water that is heated to around 28c by an submersed aqaurium heater.

- a piece of viney aquarium safe wood

- large pebble substrate

- some cuttings of devils ivy

- a 5watt heat mat stuck to the glass

- 13watt, 10% UVB fluro globe

- small crickets and vitamin/calcium powder

The issue I'm having is that it's only heating to around 17.5c and neither the pad nor water heater seem to be able to get it above this given the cold Melbourne weather this time of year. This housing is only temporary and was hustled together within an hour of getting the frog.

I'm not particularly well versed in frog care so any other tips would be great!

Cheers!

I think you've done good.

It's not practical to try to return it to where it came from , you don't know where that was and if it's carrying any deseases , could end up wiping out the entire population if released locally.
The disease called chytridiomycosis and the fungus Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis (Bd), also known as the amphibian chytrid fungus are lethal to frogs and can wipe out entire frog populations if introduced accidentally.

Unless released back to the creek or pond it came from , releasing it back to the wild will do more harm than good to the local frog populations where it's released. So keeping it quaranteened from other frogs is the best approach IMO.

Those little frogs are nice pets and tame up nicely (I had some as pets as a kid).

I'm sure there's a care sheet around for the species. I'd look on line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back