Resting snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mack86

Reaction score
I'm sure this is normal snake behaviour because my snake does this ALOT but this is also why I am concerned as I'm worried there's an underlying concern.

He rests his head on the inside of his plant pot hide looking straight up to the sky quite often. It's his cold hide as well and he barely leaves it. It's rare I see him in his hot hide. I'm sure it's just comfortable for him, but did read they do this when they have an infection.

Couple that with a wrinkly, non eating snake and I just feel like I need to ask this question in case. Is this just normal snake behaviour to rest with head looking up quite often?

Thanks.

I'm no expert, but I would suggest providing some extra information may assist in someone in-the-know giving a more detailed response:

1) What type of snake is it?

2) What age?

3) When was the last time the snake fed?

4) How long have you had the snake (or had the snake in that enclosure)

5) When was the last time the snake shed?

6) When did the behaviour start, and how long has it been going on for?

My snake doesn't often use her hot hide. She's happy to be out in the open on the hot side. She'll go into the cold hide from time to time, but on the hot side I normally see her out more than in.

I'm no expert, but I would suggest providing some extra information may assist in someone in-the-know giving a more detailed response:

1) What type of snake is it?

2) What age?

3) When was the last time the snake fed?

4) How long have you had the snake (or had the snake in that enclosure)

5) When was the last time the snake shed?

6) When did the behaviour start, and how long has it been going on for?

My snake doesn't often use her hot hide. She's happy to be out in the open on the hot side. She'll go into the cold hide from time to time, but on the hot side I normally see her out more than in.
1. Stimsons
2. 9 months
3. July 3rd
4. Since I got him in early June at 4 months old
5. End of June
6. On and off since I purchased him in June

I'm really no expert. I've owned one snake. I don't even feel qualified to reply here, but since no one else has - I'll do my best. (Just large pinch of salt when you read what I write)!

If she has been with her head like this for 5 months, I'd take that as her preference, and no cause for concern (regarding resting her head. Especially if she hasn't deteoriated or has health signs showing bad).

The main concern I see hear is a young snake that hasn't eaten for 4 months. Do you know how much body weight she's lost in that time?

It could be that she's just Brumating and that's why the lack of activity/shedding. With the weather warming up (hopefully) - you may start seeing a bit of action. With no other advise to go with - I'd be paying attention to her weight.

If she starts loosing too much weight you may need to consider assist feeding. Hopefully someone else with more knowledge or better advise will chime in here. (Some times the best way to get advise is to have someone offer up the wrong advise, then the experts chime in). 😆

Hey Adam,

Thanks for responding, I appreciate it.

No idea of his weight to tell you the truth but he is bigger than when I got him in June and doesn't appear any smaller in recent months.

I'd have no idea how to assist feed nor know anyone who can and it's not a path I'm overly willing to go down to be honest. Just hoping for the best in the coming months and crossing my fingers he eats again one day when things warm up more and that I don't find him dead one morning in his enclosure 🙄

So-called ‘star gazing’ can be a clinical sign of the sunshine virus in pythons, but not on its own. It would have to occur frequently, wherever the snake is, accompanied by other signs. The most prevalent sign is partial or complete loss of the righting reflex when the snake is on its back. A have look at this article about it and it should set your mind at ease: https://wildlifehealthaustralia.com...ptiles/Sunshinevirus_in_Australian_Snakes.pdf.

If you are keen to sink your teeth well and truly into snake keeping, it is a good idea to keep records. Such things as what it has eaten and when, when you find it has pooped, when its eyes go cloudy and when it then sloughs, its length and weight (measured every few months), any changes in its environment and any changes in general behaviour. Don’t sweat if you miss something, such as when the eyes go cloudy, and leave it alone if it is bromating, just get the length and weight before and after. No, its not necessary, but it is interesting and informative, providing information that may be useful to you and to others, depending.

Measuring the weight of smaller snakes is easy. A good set of electron kitchen scales will only set you back $7 or $8 these days. Place a pillow slip and a plastic mixing bowl or bucket on the scales, and then tare them (sets the scale reading to 0). Then, add the snake to snake to the pillow slip, and ‘Bob’s your uncle’. Measuring length is a bit more difficult. There are apps on the net that let you do so from an appropriate photograph. Alternatively, use a dress maker’s tape (which is made from flexible fabric). Get someone to hold the snake, while you run the tape along its body, changing you hand grips a little at time to keep it in contact around the curves.

So-called ‘star gazing’ can be a clinical sign of the sunshine virus in pythons, but not on its own. It would have to occur frequently, wherever the snake is, accompanied by other signs. The most prevalent sign is partial or complete loss of the righting reflex when the snake is on its back. A have look at this article about it and it should set your mind at ease: https://wildlifehealthaustralia.com...ptiles/Sunshinevirus_in_Australian_Snakes.pdf.

If you are keen to sink your teeth well and truly into snake keeping, it is a good idea to keep records. Such things as what it has eaten and when, when you find it has pooped, when its eyes go cloudy and when it then sloughs, its length and weight (measured every few months), any changes in its environment and any changes in general behaviour. Don’t sweat if you miss something, such as when the eyes go cloudy, and leave it alone if it is bromating, just get the length and weight before and after. No, its not necessary, but it is interesting and informative, providing information that may be useful to you and to others, depending.

Measuring the weight of smaller snakes is easy. A good set of electron kitchen scales will only set you back $7 or $8 these days. Place a pillow slip and a plastic mixing bowl or bucket on the scales, and then tare them (sets the scale reading to 0). Then, add the snake to snake to the pillow slip, and ‘Bob’s your uncle’. Measuring length is a bit more difficult. There are apps on the net that let you do so from an appropriate photograph. Alternatively, use a dress maker’s tape (which is made from flexible fabric). Get someone to hold the snake, while you run the tape along its body, changing you hand grips a little at time to keep it in contact around the curves.
Thanks for all this info,

With regards to the resting head up he always rests it against something. I took him to the vet not long after I got him and he put him on his back to see if he righted himself and he did. Early on I accidentally dropped him on the carpet which I'm so embarrassed to admit and was a total accident. I felt horrible after that and I don't handle him much because it upset me so much. It was just my total lack of experience with handling snakes. I can say now that I am far more confident and at no risk of that happening again. But at times I wonder if I gave him some sort of damage. The reptile vet checked him over and said he was really really healthy.

He does mouth gape now and again but I just assumed it was yawning. He's pretty inactive still. Hasn't moved all day. Like most days.... And nights.. 😔

Also he hasn't pood or weed since he ate in July. To me this is somewhat concerning...

Latest posts

Back