RI Symptoms Even After Treatment

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kneil24

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and thought I'd get your experienced opinion.

I have a 1 1/2 year old Darwin Albino Carpet Python. He is about 70cm in length. My Darwin, Oliver, was yawning a lot, sitting with his mouth open, and had stringy saliva when he yawned. After a visit to the vet an RI was confirmed and I was given 10 Ceftazidime injections to be given every 3 days.

I am giving the last injection tomorrow and he is still displaying the symptoms. Oliver is still yawning quite a bit and has stringy saliva when he yawns, and the inside of his mouth is quite red. Before I got him the antibiotics, he shed (quite badly despite having humidity of about 70%, I am assuming because of the RI). I soaked him and all of the shed came off except for a patch that runs from under his chin to about 3cm down his neck. The top of his head and eye caps shed correctly, it's just under the chin and neck that hasn't and no amount of soaking has helped. His last feed was just before the shed (9 September) and he has refused all food since then (Currently 15 October)

In short, he is in pretty bad shape at the moment. I am taking him back to the vet tomorrow and am going to insist on them doing a mouth swap so we know exactly what is going on. My only question is that I don't know why the antibiotics wouldn't have cleared it up, and why did he get the RI in the first place? His tank is 60cm long by 40cm deep (small, I know - I have been saving up for a bigger tank & stand for the last couple of months and are about to buy a new one. I am hoping to get something about 120cm long). I use a 100W globe currently and the temperature in the basking spot ranges between 30-32 degrees. Any hotter and he seems to sit with his mouth open, strangely. He has been bred in captivity and is currently eating Hopper mice (when he eats..) Oliver has always been a fantastic eater and I have never had this problem before, hoping it is a combination of the RI and stuck shed...

We are in a bit of a tight spot here and I have followed vets & breeders advice but I don't seem to be having any luck. Anybody have any advice for me? Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back