RI Treatment

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Albino-keeper

Reaction score
Hi I've just come home to find my 18 month diamond Python has what looks to be RI does anyone have home treatment tricks? I've found on google a way to treat them with Vicks vapor rub in hot water put them in a tub with it so they inhale it is this safe? Has anyone got any other methods? I've only just got these snakes they were in a glass enclosure before this so may of been cause of this have recently moved them into a melamine enclosure now. Thanks for any help provided

Hi there a melamine enclosure should be better than glass as it retains more heat, however i would say the swap to the new cage is what has caused the issue it well help if post current temps your running at basking spot and cool end. a vet trip may be in order but i'll let more experienced people advise you on that.

Vet advice definitely in the first instance, depending on severity, it may require anything from a simple increase in temps/ change in enclosure set up to a course of antibiotics. Never apply "home remedies" or self diagnose would be my advice.

Just to give an updat took both snakes to see Dr Shane Simpson aka The Reptile Doctor in Melbourne. One snake was much sicker then the other was RI had mouth and nostril flushed out plenty of puss. Second snake just started showing signs now giving antibiotic injections every 3 days for the next month and mouth flushes to get rid of any build up. Great vet definitely worth the trip travelled 4hrs in total but knows what he is talking about. Finger crossed all goes well and they are back to full health :)

F10 run through a reptile a fogger in a container with your python. Concentraion for that treatment is on the bottle.

Just to give an updat took both snakes to see Dr Shane Simpson aka The Reptile Doctor in Melbourne. One snake was much sicker then the other was RI had mouth and nostril flushed out plenty of puss. Second snake just started showing signs now giving antibiotic injections every 3 days for the next month and mouth flushes to get rid of any build up. Great vet definitely worth the trip travelled 4hrs in total but knows what he is talking about. Finger crossed all goes well and they are back to full health :)

Good decision. This will treat the symptoms but you still need to try and understand the cause of the infection. This can often be blamed on low winter temperatures but I have my doubts to this being a common cause in Diamonds. Enclosure kept in a drafty location or stress are some other common causes. If you have only recently moved the animals into a new enclosure this is not likely the cause as RI generally takes quite some time manifesting itself before it becomes visible.
If you got these animals in the last month or so I would think they were already carrying RI.

Good decision. This will treat the symptoms but you still need to try and understand the cause of the infection. This can often be blamed on low winter temperatures but I have my doubts to this being a common cause in Diamonds. Enclosure kept in a drafty location or stress are some other common causes. If you have only recently moved the animals into a new enclosure this is not likely the cause as RI generally takes quite some time manifesting itself before it becomes visible.
If you got these animals in the last month or so I would think they were already carrying RI.

I only just brought these pythons and have only been in my collection for a week. Shane did a blood slide on the snake and said that these snakes have had this for over a month so unfortunately I was sold sick snakes my fault for not fully checking over these animals before purchasing but I quarantine all my snakes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back