ridge tail feeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptileduude

Reaction score
whats the best way to feed a ridge tail monitor mince? and whats the best sort of mince to buy, how old should it be before you start introducing it to mince
cheers

I don't keep monitors personally but from my understanding mince is no good for them. It doesn't have much nutritional value. They benefit more from eating whole prey items with all the roughage (teeth, bones, skin and fur) which means cutting up mice into appropriately sized pieces and feeding that to them as well as gutloaded insects with they are younger. I know there was a thread here a while ago about a lace monitor that developed severe MBD due to being fed nothing but chicken strips? Perhaps someone more experienced with varanus could correct/add to this.

Depending on the meat used and purpose it was made for. I know a few people who buy turkey mince from a petstore, its made for pets and is pretty much a whole turkey gone through a mincer (bones and all).

I personally dont feed my ridge tails mince, dont see the point when i breed my own mice and also have a colony of woodies.

Rick

what about kangaroo mince my blue tongue loves it
not sure if it is ok for ridge tails but I was told its good for blueys and it is cheap as just a thought

Turkey mince is awesome for small monitors especially egg laying females dust it with calcium powder and leave it in small bite sized pieces they will find it. It should only be fed once a week or so as it is the human equivalent eating a big old greasy hamburger bugs should make up most of their diet small monitor species can and will become morbidly obese eating large amounts of mince they will also become lazy and not forage for food. Give it to them as a weekly or fortnightly treat and it will serve it's purpose cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back