RIP DOA Rodents

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rattler

Reaction score
After putting much time and effort into DOA we have come to an unforeseen end. As you would have noticed, the online store had been closed for the last few months. This was to allow us to free up time to make preparations for the next stage of DOA, namely moving into a facility that could accommodate the needs of our growing reptile food supply business. These preparations included building up frozen stock and obtaining new strains of rats and mice as a basis for our colonies. We were also growing this nucleus out to get the colony started with what space we had available. Councils had to be contacted in regards to our proposed activities in certain zones. We also sourced animal housing from near and far and liaised with different companies to source quality and well priced bulk supply of our projected ongoing requirements. During this time we needed to work full-time in our usual jobs to keep money coming in.
We were at the precipice of moving into DOA HQ when we were informed of something we overlooked... the $10K commercial bond on the lease property. After getting to this point the piggy bank was very empty and because we hadn't been on the books long enough the banks weren't interested in giving us a loan. Now we were all dressed up with no place to go when our house caught fire while we were at work and destroyed everything, including all the equipment we purchased in preparation of expanding. Many animals were rescued thankfully however we didn't have contents insurance.
DOA has taken a heavy blow. I am not sure if we will recover and start over again at this stage.
I would like to thank all those who gave us a go and especially those repeat customers, many of which were with us from the start.

Tony Ross
DOA Rodents

Sorry to hear about the run of bad luck mate. Hope you and your family are well and continue to be.

Rick

Tony
I don't know what to say. I been impressed with the quality of the rats and mice you provided (as were my snakes). I do hope somehow you guys manage to come out of this, you deserve to be successful.

All the best mates.

so sorry for your loss, i hope you's get back on your feet soon.

i am happy to donate a small amount of money to help you's out and i am sure if we all dig deep to help out a fellow herper you could be back on your feet sooner.

pm me your details so i can make a donation.

So Sorry that things ended so badly Tony, u had awesome quality rodents and excellent service to match. I hope one day DOA rodents will be resurrected, I have high hopes in ur business :)

That's really awful Tony. I hope you can recover from this to become bigger and better in every facet, not just rodent supply.
I'm with Saintanger on this, PM me your details and I'll donate what I can.
Good luck mate.

After putting much time and effort into DOA we have come to an unforeseen end. As you would have noticed, the online store had been closed for the last few months. This was to allow us to free up time to make preparations for the next stage of DOA, namely moving into a facility that could accommodate the needs of our growing reptile food supply business. These preparations included building up frozen stock and obtaining new strains of rats and mice as a basis for our colonies. We were also growing this nucleus out to get the colony started with what space we had available. Councils had to be contacted in regards to our proposed activities in certain zones. We also sourced animal housing from near and far and liaised with different companies to source quality and well priced bulk supply of our projected ongoing requirements. During this time we needed to work full-time in our usual jobs to keep money coming in.
We were at the precipice of moving into DOA HQ when we were informed of something we overlooked... the $10K commercial bond on the lease property. After getting to this point the piggy bank was very empty and because we hadn't been on the books long enough the banks weren't interested in giving us a loan. Now we were all dressed up with no place to go when our house caught fire while we were at work and destroyed everything, including all the equipment we purchased in preparation of expanding. Many animals were rescued thankfully however we didn't have contents insurance.
DOA has taken a heavy blow. I am not sure if we will recover and start over again at this stage.
I would like to thank all those who gave us a go and especially those repeat customers, many of which were with us from the start.

Tony Ross
DOA Rodents

Sorry to hear of the rough times. What's this $10K commercial bond you mentioned? Is this a statewide requirement or something the landlord wanted?

Sorry to hear of the rough times. What's this $10K commercial bond you mentioned? Is this a statewide requirement or something the landlord wanted?
The 10k commercial bond is like a house bond you have to pay before you move into a rental property. sorry for the set back

Commercial leases in Australia generally require a performance bond which is a type of insurance to guarantee lease payments and compensation for damage. It is one of the many costs which commercial operators have over and above the cash economy. Insurances plus GST ( which is 10% off your gross) represent a fair hurdle for anyone starting or maintaining a business.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear about this. Had alot going for you too. I always liked the name of the business :) I am sure that even if you returned after a few years that people will support you perhaps even stronger than before.

Commercial leases in Australia generally require a performance bond which is a type of insurance to guarantee lease payments and compensation for damage. It is one of the many costs which commercial operators have over and above the cash economy. Insurances plus GST ( which is 10% off your gross) represent a fair hurdle for anyone starting or maintaining a business.

I see, thanks for the insight.

It's an interesting topic, diseconomies, compliance costs and the business decision whether to attempt to compete with every new garage breeder that pops up. I agree, I think the decision to do so is a poor one. Somewhat akin to Ford motor co raising its hackles every time a car is posted on autosales.com.au. It just isn't going to happen.

Made me feel sick hearing about your string of bad luck. At the end of the day you can't put a price on your family's safety. Glad none of you were hurt in the fire and I hope your current employment enables you to support yourselves and have a decent standard of living. $10k is so much, but also so little (as far as a loan from a bank) it's sad to see you come so close only to have this hurdle put in place. All the best in the future.

Hopfully things work out for you guys. I have ordered from DOA rodents a few times and found your stock and service to be top notch. I'm going to have to tell my five pythons the bad news.

I just heard that the RSPCA want $1500 from Tony for helping him out in his time of need, so if you guys want to do something practical, you could kick the tin to help him get his reptiles back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back