Risks of breeding too close genetically in blue tongue skinks.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talanthas

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a couple of juvie blue tongues in the near future. Most likely they'll be siblings as it's easier to get them from same breeder. I'd prefer to end up with two females but if worst case I end up with a male and female and the reproduce how bad will that be for the offspring? If it's major red flags I'll have to rethink what I'm doing. I've never bred any reptiles so I'm somewhat clueless.

It is not preferred to breed siblings but you won't get bad babies out of it, you need more inbreeding before you get bad babies, it happens here with mine sometimes, I often keep holdbacks together while young and last year a 363 day old female northern gave birth to 5 babies, didn't know they mated, father of litter her brother, babies were fine and father got sold of fast so it doesn't happen again. Sometimes overhere, Europe, we have no choice and have to buy siblings because some species are hard to get🙄

I would prefer to get unrelated if possible and will aim for that but I just wanted to find out what was worst case. I thought it would be OK as it happens a lot in aviculture but as it's a different kettle of fish I figure better to ask. Thanks for the reply much appreciated.

Back