Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goneself

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all- I've recently been offered a nothern territory rock python (liasis oenpelliensis)

Haven't seen any aound and just wondered if anyone here kept/bred/knew anything about them..

Read the chapter in Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons on Oenpelliensis. Very interesting article.

i googled rock python and it came up with black head python if so theres heaps around here lots of people have them

thers not very many legal ones around, if its legal you can bet it`ll be very pricey, if not be very careful

Google is not a good source for identification.

If you have the opportunity to get an Oenpelliensis and it is legit then go for it. I don't know anyone with one so I would have to agree with reading the chapter in Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons.

Hey all- I've recently been offered a nothern territory rock python (liasis oenpelliensis)

Haven't seen any aound and just wondered if anyone here kept/bred/knew anything about them..
put up pics would love to see it :)

Is there a difference between Morelia Oenpelliensis & Liasis Oenpelliensis?

The current status with these snakes is similar to the situation with the yellow heath monitor and the rough scaled python a few years ago- getting pairs into the hands of breeders. I was just looking for husbandry info from anyone who has some currently, or has had them in the past, not an inbox full of messages calling me a liar or offering to swap coastals for one. Thanks anyway.Now wheres that thread destruct button...

I don't really think it is. How is their status similar?

The current status with these snakes is similar to the situation with the yellow heath monitor and the rough scaled python a few years ago- getting pairs into the hands of breeders. I was just looking for husbandry info from anyone who has some currently, or has had them in the past, not an inbox full of messages calling me a liar or offering to swap coastals for one. Thanks anyway.Now wheres that thread destruct button...

You can probably understand peoples scepticism, to my knowledge there aren't any in private hands (legally) so you would be very lucky indeed to have been offered one. There may well be some out there but I haven't heard of legal ones.

G'day goneself,

The captive status of Oenpelli Pythons is well known, hence the reason you're copping a little bit of unreasonable backlash in this thread. They are only held legally but one facility in the world, and those animals originated from a seizure of illegally held animals many years ago. They were bred by the very experienced original owner, and the new owners have had nothing but failures all round with them.

There are no Oenpelli Pythons legally held by private keepers, and the way things are looking, there's very little chance there ever will be.

Yeah Jonno
I saw one of those animals you are talking about very recently, the chances of reproduction is very slim........ NT zoos are currently lobbying for permission to collect new blood, however they are currently relying on another seizure or injured animal to be brought in.....

Yeah Jonno
I saw one of those animals you are talking about very recently, the chances of reproduction is very slim........ NT zoos are currently lobbying for permission to collect new blood, however they are currently relying on another seizure or injured animal to be brought in.....

maybe this guy could help them out barra, lol.. he knows were an illegal one is, just waiting to be seized..lol.

Im sure there are a few held off books and being bred by dodgy private keepers, its only a matter of time till one of them gets busted and loses the animals....Although those privates are probably doing a better job establishing a captive population than most Zoos.....lol

there was another thread on here somewhere and it hinted that some were being sold as olives.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back