Rosenberg's Monitor - Not Eating / Feeding Tips & General Care

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BraedenLee

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm hoping I can gain some knowledge regarding my 1.5 year-old Rosenberg's Monitor (Heath Monitor).

1. It's been 2 weeks now and she has only eaten once and didn't eat very much at that. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced the same issue or has any ideas how to get her feeding more regularly. I've been offering her food everyday and tracking when she feeds/not.

In terms of her health, she is very active, handles well. She is producing waste which seems normal. If anything she does look a little thin but not malnourished.

I've also noticed when I offer her food she will start smelling it with fast "tongue flicks", look really interested but then rub her face in the substrate or the rock then ignore the food.

ANY INFO / TIPS on feeding and general care would be greatly appreciated as I've struggle to find much info on keeping Varanus Rosenbergi

I know the first questions will regard husbandry so I've put more info below to give a better idea. I'll also attach a couple photos.

Info
She (sex unknown, but refer to as she) has always been a fussy eater and has gone through stages of not eating for 3-7 days. She feeds mostly on medium crickets, small quail (cut into small pieces), fuzzies, chicken and sometimes salmon/egg. I've tried to feed her woodies, mealworms ect to try and make her diet more insect based but she won't take them.

Enclosure
150cm X 58cm X 58cm

Temps
Ambient - 30 Degrees Celsius
Basking Spot - 45 Degrees Celsius
Cool End - 25-30 Degrees Celsius

Humidity - 60% - 90%

Any info would be great and thanks in advance!

20220416_083740.jpg
20220215_074928.jpg

Pretty small for 18 months old.

You may not have too much luck turning the feeding around at this time of year. I'd be considering cooling it if its not feeding anyway. Whether you do it now or next spring, whenever you're trying to keep it active and feeding I'd give a hotter basking spot. These things love extreme heat and naturally have to opportunity to bask far in excess of 45⁰ during the feeding season; even in mid winter they can often find basking spots over 60⁰ and in summer much hotter. You might get away with a 45⁰ basking spot but it's less than ideal and will leave some individuals feeling less bold and less keen to feed.

Latest posts

Back