RSP strikes, coils/wraps then spits out.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

d-dutz

Reaction score
Didn't really want to post a "my python isn't eating" post but it's been 6 weeks today and now I think I just want other feeding technics I guess.
I've offered him day old chicks and mice but every time he strikes and wraps around it but after about a minute he spits it out and will not touch it again. I've left food in his viv over night several times and he won't eat it. I've tried feeding different times of the day lights on and lights off (that was slightly scary)
The only thing I haven't done is live feed and I don't think I have the stomach to either but at what point do you force feed or how much weight loss does it take to warrant a vet trip (which is 350kms away)

He is 16 months old
And about 120cm

Any help greatly appreciated =]

If he's been feeding ok up to now there is no reason to change any feeding techniques.
This is the time of the year when a lot of reptiles go off their food, hence the "my python isn't eating" posts.
Unless you see any obvious signs like tounge not flicking, constipation, bubbling, wheezing from the mouth or something unusual, I wouldn't worry. Regardless of enclosure lights and heaters, reptiles do know when it's time for a rest.
Just make sure there is a cool spot for him (and a warm)

Allan pretty much covered it, either way 6 weeks isn't cause for concern. Maybe try small food items.

The same thing happened to my python of the same age last year. It's normal, they know when it's the change of season and act accordingly (which for them is going off their food). I wouldn't worry, maybe try offering only every fortnight to month and see if he takes it then. My boy started feeding consistently again in October, and didn't loose any noticeable weight at all. He didn't shed during this time either so don't let that worry you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back