Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

euphorion

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I'm just having a whinge.

Since when did 'asking for offers' on an animal you have for sale mean 'please offer me the bare minimum i would accept and then harass me as to when you can come and pick the animal up while being a smart-alec about how long it takes to drive to my place so asking you to wait until i was ready to sell her was MY PROBLEM???'

Seriously, some people can be strangely rude these days.

Rant end/

Other than tyre kickers what rudeness have you guys encountered with regards to your animals lately? I hate it when a friend of mine will let on to someone who doesn't know me too well that i keep reptiles. It's so frustrating because it compromises the security of my home, the safety of my animals and even then i have to deal with the petty barrage of nasty or just plain RUDE comments regarding my poor little critters. :?

If you post stuff for free, watch the people suck up your butt....

Best bet is to ignore any offer that you consider 'rude'. which in my experience is most..

Oh man, 'ignore' is not part of my vocabulary yet! I see red too often these days and BAM shooshoo has her cranky pants on.

The thing that gets me is that i haven't even posted photos to my ad yet so how on earth can they have any idea what this partcular animal may be like? I sure wouldn't be putting offers on an animal until i'd seen it!

I especially love it when they say, "I can't afford to buy the animal but I promise to love it and give it a really good home so can you just give it to me?" hmmm if you can't afford to buy it, how can you afford to feed and house it? Not surprisingly I say no to those people.

Linda

I hate time waster. I am trying to sell my bredli at the moment and have had so many time waster. They want new pics, info. Would I possibly freight to Canberra NO. So then would I meet them half way as it's such a long drive for them. Then they say no I have decided against it. Then one guy wanted to know if I would deliver it to Newcastle 2 1/2hrs one way no. You tell these people no then they carry on like idiots because you said no. If you want the snake drive and pick it up. There are so many idiot out there.

I agree with what you're saying Shooshoo although I don't always like ads that only ask for offers. Unlike your ad that at least gave an indication as to what you would like to sell them for then asked for offers, at least a smart buyer would have an idea of what price you're after. Ones that only ask for offers I tend to steer clear of as I don't want to seem rude with what I offer or offer way more than they were expecting! :p

And another thing. I stupidly put my mobile number on the add for sale. DON'T put you number on. I keep getting SMS at stupid hour eg 11pm and 1am asking question about the snake. Apparrently people don't realise it's rude to SMS a stranger at that time of night.

Beloved_Reptiles, i agree! I did just notice that i haven't put an 'estimated offer' up for the BHP or woma yet, whoops! Fair call if you've got someone insanely unique and ask for offers but i wish we could do it auction style you know? rather than a stab in the dark it would be a lot more fun to watch too! Having said that, people like to keep the numbers hush hush so as to maintain the market for them for longer, fair enough i say.

Tyre kickers, minimal rude offers, no shows and general time wasters are unfortunately part of selling reptiles. i have had some shockers, thankfully plenty of good buyers- shoo and joe included. its people like them that keep me interested in breeding rather than just packing it in and keeping quiet in the hobby.

And another thing. I stupidly put my mobile number on the add for sale. DON'T put you number on. I keep getting SMS at stupid hour eg 11pm and 1am asking question about the snake. Apparrently people don't realise it's rude to SMS a stranger at that time of night.
That's just outright rude! I must say I haven't had that issue in the past when I added my mobile, but may reconsider doing so in the future!

Shooshoo, Like others have said it's unfortunately part of selling anything. If you put 'offers' on it you'll only attract the offers that you don't want unless it's something special or unique. It's best way to avoid most of the unwanted offers is to put the price on the animal\item that you want for it. If you don't know its real value, ask an experienced person who will know, and get an apraisal.

Corey.

Last edited:
Need a hug Shoo?
Haha Shoo i'll give u a hug :p

I get frustrated by friends without reptiles, who roll their eyes at me when I explain how I don't want them to tell everybody they know in the local area, what I have in my collection. They think that it is silly and I am exaggerating when I say I worry about people stealing.

The most ANNOYING thing was when I was selling an enclosure to people from Gumtree, who I didn't know from a bar of soap, who owned a LARGE truck capable of carrying everything I own. I took the enclosure outside so they didn't come in my house, and then I went in to grab something and my housemate went out and listed my whole collection to them. I saw red.

God I'm worried that I cant tell people what I own now. My mum was telling her friends what I own last night, and everyone in the complex I live in knows what I own. I have no idea why reptiles are stolen so often and I dont want to be paranoid but maybe I should stop when I get more reptiles.
It seems snakes are stolen more often than lizards though, and I'll be getting more lizards than snakes, so hopefully I'm safe.

I went in to grab something and my housemate went out and listed my whole collection to them. I saw red.
I can understand that would really piss you off. People don't realise how often reptiles are stolen, and it's not just the high end reptiles.

What exactly do you consider tyre kickers? Is it the people who dare ask a question about what`s up for sale, and then don`t buy? Is those who ask several questions and still don`t buy? Or maybe people who try to get a bargain? Com`on people. If you put something up for sale, you are bound to get all sorts of questions, it does not always mean people are rude, just looking for a bargain, or see how low one can push the price. It`s generally called" Haggling" I believe. My mum had a garage sale, included was some really nice chairs from her restaurant, banana leaf ones, she bought them for $280 each, and there was more than one person offering $50 for 40 chairs, thinking he/she may get a bargain. Offcourse, we still have 40 banana leaf chairs:D, and mum said she will not sell for less than $40 each, that is still a bargain for what ever buyer. Anyhow, I will not call people rude, just opportunistic ;)

Shooshoo, Like others have said it's unfortunately part of selling anything. If you put 'offers' on it you'll only attract the offers that you don't want unless it's something special or unique. It's best way to avoid most of the unwanted offers is to put the price on the animal\item that you want for it. If you don't know its real value, ask an experienced person who will know, and get an apraisal.

Corey.

These aren't special animals and i don't state that they are in the ad, i already put what i want people to pay outright for them in the ad but i'm happy to take less given that they are in the market in abundance at the moment. Hence, offers.

Just fun to have a giggle with other people over what silliness goes on within this forum (and others) at times :)

What exactly do you consider tyre kickers? Is it the people who dare ask a question about what`s up for sale, and then don`t buy? Is those who ask several questions and still don`t buy? Or maybe people who try to get a bargain? Com`on people. If you put something up for sale, you are bound to get all sorts of questions, it does not always mean people are rude, just looking for a bargain, or see how low one can push the price. It`s generally called" Haggling" I believe. My mum had a garage sale, included was some really nice chairs from her restaurant, banana leaf ones, she bought them for $280 each, and there was more than one person offering $50 for 40 chairs, thinking he/she may get a bargain. Offcourse, we still have 40 banana leaf chairs:D, and mum said she will not sell for less than $40 each, that is still a bargain for what ever buyer. Anyhow, I will not call people rude, just opportunistic ;)

There absolutely is a difference there Emilie :) Some people are just checking out the market and seeing what's what, that's fine. Then there are people, as has been said, that try to get you to frieght, deliver, drop the price to a stupid level or offer them on payment plans, etc. now that IS rude. Just like any industry, you buy and sell for what people are willing to pay, or you suck it up and keep it beccause it's worth more than the offered price. I think, though, that when it comes to a living animal people really need to demonstrate their commitment to the animal initally through its purchase price. If you can't afford to buy the animal you surely can't afford to feed, house and otherwise care for it correctly let alone pay it's vet bills. Now, i work in a vet clinic and i am horrified by the abuse we receive from some clients expecting us to service their animals for free or near enough claiming that we ought to on the grounds that we love animals and its our duty or something similarly insulting like that.

MMMMM i tihnk i'm in the mood for hot chocolate and bananna bread for lunch. Any takers? And no, i will not freight or deliver.

Last edited:

A tyre kicker is someone that asks alot of question over a couple of days. The whole time they are saying "it looks really great, I want to buy I just need to sort some stuff out. I a saving the money, buying the stuff tomorrow then I will buy it, can you freight it, if I buy it can we meet halfway, ok I will sort out import permits tomorrow"
Then after all that after you have been answering all there question they say no not interested. The really annoying thing is you know they are most probably a tyre kicker but you have to be polite anyway. Even when they stuff you around.

Come on shooshoo why won't you freight me some banana bread. Can you deliver or can we meet somewhere in the middle lol. Sounds like a nice lunch though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back