Saw shelled turtle behaviour

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benc63

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have been watching the Saw shelled turtles in my front dam and was wondering about their behaviour.
One will come up and then another will surface directly facing it and even spit a bit of water at the first.
I have seen them do this numerous times and dont know if this is territorial aggression or a courtship display.
Any thoughts ?

8T5A9904.JPG
[automerge]1620715754[/automerge]
There is a Krefts turtle in the same dam as well but they dont seem to interact at all.

8T5A9792.JPG

Not to sure but it might be some sort of mateship thing.
Your best bet is to ask Flaviemys purvisi

Yep I was hoping he could shed some light on it.
Also got a quick glimpse of a Macleays water snake right at my feet while watching the turtles.
Vanished under the water after one quick shot but I saw him again briefly the next day in the same spot.

8T5A9839.JPG
[automerge]1620716950[/automerge]
A couple of the White lipped tree frogs that sit on the front porch

8T5A9776.JPG8T5A9874.JPG

Last edited:
and a nice sized Slaty grey snake cruising at the side door.
I moved him down the back yard so he wouldnt eat my house frogs.

8T5A9924.JPG
[automerge]1620717970[/automerge]
Sweet!
I was up in queensland last week and saw a keelback.
Nice. I have always been a fan of Keelbacks. I used to keep one many years ago.

I have been watching the Saw shelled turtles in my front dam and was wondering about their behaviour.
One will come up and then another will surface directly facing it and even spit a bit of water at the first.
I have seen them do this numerous times and dont know if this is territorial aggression or a courtship display.
Any thoughts ?

View attachment 331097
[automerge]1620715754[/automerge]
There is a Krefts turtle in the same dam as well but they dont seem to interact at all.

View attachment 331098
Hi mate. It is definitely a courtship display. Courtship is almost always face to face with our Australian freshwater turtles. Aggressive or territorial behaviour, especially with saw shelled turtles will involve one approaching from behind.
Courting is also very normal with sawies in spring and autumn.

Latest posts

Back