Scorpion disease?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pythonguy1

Reaction score
So last year I got these scorpions in at work. Flinder's Ranges and Deserts. I was pretty excited to get them in (we got about ten), However I soon noticed that they were doing this weird stretching thing were they would put their tails out flat and stretch in over their back and stretch out their claws and legs. And then they would try to walk but fall upside down and just lie there. Initially I thought it was stress but after a few weeks they started dying. Soon all of our desert scorps had died and we just had the flinders ranges left. After a few weeks of not seeing the mysterious illness I thought it was all good. However it started to happen again but this time to the Flinders ranges scorps. Soon only one flinders was left and he eventually went downhill but started to recover. Or so I thought... I came in the next week and he was dead as a doorknob, even after it looked like he was recovering. The weird thing was that it happened to all the desert scorps first and then the Flinders ranges a few weeks later. Also they all came in by the same breeder at once. The previous scorpions that we had at the time weren't affected at all by it. Only the one's brought in by the breeder. In the end only one Desert scorpion survived. The rest died slowly in exactly the same way. So whenever I started to see symptoms I thought "Here we go again". I tried to investigate but couldn't find anything telling me what killed the scorpions.

Sorry about the in-depth post (I think I need a glass of water) but if any one could give me a clue as to what happened to the scorpions that would be great. I've been meaning to get to the bottom of this for a while.

Difficult to say without knowing more about the situation, but my guess would be poisoning. Could be anything from a cleaning product to varnish to someone nearby using fly spray, etc etc.

Difficult to say without knowing more about the situation, but my guess would be poisoning. Could be anything from a cleaning product to varnish to someone nearby using fly spray, etc etc.
Whatever it was it would've been from the breeder as they came in showing symptoms. Would there be a reason as to why it took longer for the Flinders ranges scorpions to be affected?

Whatever it was it would've been from the breeder as they came in showing symptoms. Would there be a reason as to why it took longer for the Flinders ranges scorpions to be affected?
Too many potential variables to narrow it down with the limited information here.

It's not necessarily from the breeder. They could have been exposed in transit etc.

The species may have been kept separately, packed for transit separately, one species may be more susceptible or resilient.

There's just not enough information to go on, unless some scorpion people know more and can recognise these symptoms and there's a common explanation. It seems unlikely to be a disease due to the severity and consistency. If they already showed symptoms on arrival and the symptoms continued, and it took months to kill them (given your vague account of the timeframe it could be a little over a month or over a year)

If they already showed symptoms on arrival and the symptoms continued, and it took months to kill them (given your vague account of the timeframe it could be a little over a month or over a year)
Only the deserts were sowing symptoms when they arrived. The flinders rangers started showing symptoms about 4 weeks later and were dead in about 3 weeks after showing the symptoms. Does that help?

Latest posts

Back