Seldom seen: A few herps from the Goldfields and Northern Wheatbelt.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nephrurus

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Haven't posted for a fair while!

May as well do another quick one then go quiet for a few months!

I drove out east for a few days to visit a mate who was staying in the Northern Wheatbelt. It was also a chance for me to have another crack at Pseudechis butleri (needless to say: fail).

Although I missed the butleri I did manage to get a few other critters while I was out and about. Included are some geckos that seldom feature in these threads because the habitat they prefer is god-forsaken and uninhabitable.

Honestly, driving from the northern wheatbelt (admittedly in an area thats pretty intact) into the goldfields is like driving into Mordor. Suddenly the trees are stunted and theres rocks everywhere...

Anyway, as I said, there are some neat creatures that live out in those areas.

untitled-9761 by Henry.Cook, on Flickr

Oedura reticulata are more wheatbelt animals and I guess I was right at the edge of their range. Travel 50kms north and the large eucalypts they seem to prefer seem to disappear. A handsome species, a fair whack bigger than any leseuerii or rhombifer (to which it superficially resembles).

In the goldfield region I hopped out of the car to wee just on dark and decided that, as I was standing in spinifex, to have a bit of a look around.

BAM! Three of these in as many minutes: Jewelled Gecko Strophurus elderi

untitled-0125 by Henry.Cook, on Flickr

untitled-0110 by Henry.Cook, on Flickr

untitled-0117 by Henry.Cook, on Flickr

Further up the road I bought some fuel and then took a different road (dirt) stopping along the way to see what was moving about.

Aside from the regular species (Diplo granariensis, Diplo pulcher, Rhyncho ornata) I found Lucasium squarrosum.

untitled-0195 by Henry.Cook, on Flickr

And in about the same time as it took to find the Jewelled Geckos I picked up three Nephrurus. Two N. wheeleri wheeleri and one N. vertebralis, all within about 10meters of each other.

untitled-0139 by Henry.Cook, on Flickr

untitled-0141 by Henry.Cook, on Flickr

untitled-0150 by Henry.Cook, on Flickr

untitled-0165 by Henry.Cook, on Flickr

They always seem to be smiling....

I'd never seen the nominate race of wheeleri before, only the Pilbara N. wheeleri cinctus, so that was nice.

Anyway, that was more or less the product of driving 5hours each way from Perth over a weekend (actually an extended weekend).

The rest of the photos from the trip can be seen here: Goldfields and Northern Wheatbelt - a set on Flickr
There's a few pics of a Varanus tristis I caught, as well as some birds and stuff, but they dont' really count as "seldom seen".

All the best,

Henry Cook

Last edited:
absolutely stunning finds and pics henry !
love the vertebralis and elderi, and that reticulata!

You're right. It's an Oedura reticulata. I thought I'd given it the right title on Flickr. Clearly not.

The tristis was medium sized i guess, about 30-40cm long.

You're right. It's an Oedura reticulata. I thought I'd given it the right title on Flickr. Clearly not.

The tristis was medium sized i guess, about 30-40cm long.

They always seem larger in photos! Thanks :)

Hesperoedura reticulata nice shots Henry

Wonderful photos of some excellent animals, Henry. You certainly did well.

Regards,
David

- - - Updated - - -

Henry, that grasshopper on the flickr site was just incredible. I've never seen anything like it.

It's good to see you posting again Henry. You've taken some great gecko shots there. I especially like the elderi back shot and the 'smiling' Nephrurus (turning it on especially for its namesake). 8)
Thanks for sharing these seldom seen treats with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back