Semi aquatic/aquatic species?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laefiren

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I absolutely love the idea of a paludarium but I’m not really sure what kind of animals would work with it apart from perhaps turtles. I believe we only have about 5 aquatic frogs but I may be wrong. The lizards I’ve found that seem to like lots of water seem to be more of an outside pet as they require huge amounts of space.

Any ideas on what animals would work well with a paludarium?

Coming from the aquarium hobby, the idea of paludariums captivates me. Many of my 'dream' reptiles are aquatic species, e.g Crocodiles, Mitchell's Water Monitors. Common tree snakes, Macleay's water snakes.

I've made a small paludarium before, but it never got used, as I was unable to locate some frogs for it. This was from when I first set it up. I'll try and find some from a later date, it was a fantastic tank to look at
https://www.aussiepythons.com/threads/new-marsh-frog-tank.228146/
Water skinks - I've been looking into getting some for a while now. You probably know what a water skink is.

Mitchell's water monitors - for a larger display, they are still manageable at around 2ft, but they are super rare and super expensive

Common Tree snakes - I adore common tree snakes, and are one species I'm trying to track down a breeder who can hold some for me. An Arboreal species that frequently spends time in the water, with most of a Captive snake's food source being fish

Back