Shingleback distribution in Victoria?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spud_meister

Reaction score
So, before today, if I was asked where to find a Shingleback in Victoria, I would've said the closer to the NSW/SA border, the better. However, today I happened to find one at the You Yangs, not far from Geelong. I had no idea they were found that close to the coast, is this a vagrant lizard or an escaped pet, or does their range extend that far south-east and I just haven't found any until now?

WP_20140301_14_43_48_Pro.jpg

That's the Shingleback in question.

they are pretty rare, but they are around! there was one at a family members place a couple years back, in Albury/Wodonga.

Shinglebacks used to be off licence in vic, so my guess is poaching is the main reason for them being so scarce, from memory i actually think DSE (DEPI) moved them onto the basic licence because of poaching and them being 'harder' to keep than blueys

they are pretty rare, but they are around! there was one at a family members place a couple years back, in Albury/Wodonga.

Shinglebacks used to be off licence in vic, so my guess is poaching is the main reason for them being so scarce, from memory i actually think DSE (DEPI) moved them onto the basic licence because of poaching and them being 'harder' to keep than blueys

Rare? Where? I have seen tonnes in the wild in vic !

Albury/Wodonga area (Upper Murray), they are almost impossible to find!

I now live in Mansfield (HighCountry), and i wouldn't even bother trying to find one here, way to cold!

It's normal for them to be wild around the YouYangs. I have seen them Near Tullamarine airport around the grasslands etc. they prefer open drier and rocky areas and will sometimes move into the outer suburbs of Melbourne. They are much more common in the drier more arid regions of Victoria though.

Albury/Wodonga area (Upper Murray), they are almost impossible to find!

I now live in Mansfield (HighCountry), and i wouldn't even bother trying to find one here, way to cold!

I don't think they're too bothered by the cold. I've seen heaps around the Canberra area. Both alpine blotched and regular type.

We do have a few shingles getting around here though :)

Oh yeah my lizards got crossed. Yeah it was blotched blue tongues and shinglebacks which I saw both of quite frequently. Thanks for the correction.

Shinglebacks are not native to the You Yangs, Hoppers Crossing, Tullamarine or anywhere else in Melbourne. They are escaped or released pets.
Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back