Shingleback Skink. Fighting Vs Mating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snohara

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I have an unsexed adult Shingleback (Tiliqua rugosa rugosa). I've recently discovered that it has bite marks from my known male on it's head, tail and on the midline of the back near it's front legs (close on it's shoulders). I have observed the known male mating before, and he is generally quite gentle with the females, but with this individual, he's obviously been having a field day chomping on it. I've since separated the two, for fear that it might be male/male aggression, but I know that there's possibly a chance that it was simply mating behaviour. I did observe the male chasing and biting on the individual in question on one occasion, but noticed no mating at that time. Having never seen male/male fighting before, I'd love to hear some opinions from anyone with experience with this species, as to whether they would assume this to be male/male aggression, or male/female courtship.

Thanks for all opinions.

Scott.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure if it helps or not, but the harassed individual didn't seem to fight back, only run away. This is what made me think it might be a female. I'm assuming here that males would tend to fight back. I really have no clue though. This stuff doesn't really turn up in a google search. I need specific keepers help on this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back