Should i get Australian water dragon?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deanna Spillman

Reaction score
I have a Chinese water dragon. Wondering that should i get an Australian water dragon too?
Can anyone give me advice on getting one for myself?

I have a Chinese water dragon. Wondering that should i get an Australian water dragon too?
Can anyone give me advice on getting one for myself?

I'm getting a pet. Should I get a fish, canary or hamster?

The choice is yours, not anyone else's, my friend :)

If you have a Chinese water dragon, you are living outside Australia. Good luck finding a CAPTIVELY BRED Australian Eastern or Gippsland Water Dragon , from what I've been told they are very hard to find ( from genuine breeders and exports of these from Australia are illegal ).

Australian water dragons are a much more serious reptile than Chinese water dragons ( size wise as adults ).

My advise , get a bluetongue or a bearded dragon instead .

If you have a Chinese water dragon, you are living outside Australia. Good luck finding a CAPTIVELY BRED Australian Eastern or Gippsland Water Dragon , from what I've been told they are very hard to find ( from genuine breeders and exports of these from Australia are illegal ).

Australian water dragons are a much more serious reptile than Chinese water dragons ( size wise as adults ).

My advise , get a bluetongue or a bearded dragon instead .

I'm not too sure about how common they are in America as I haven't been there recently, but they're definitely kept and bred there in at least some numbers, and Australian water dragons are commonly kept and bred in Asia, they sell cheaply (I saw them as recently as a few months ago for under AU$50 each and I've seen them for around AU$30), and at least until recently it was legal to import them from Asia into the USA. Many Australian species are commonly available legally in the USA.

I'm not too sure about how common they are in America as I haven't been there recently, but they're definitely kept and bred there in at least some numbers, and Australian water dragons are commonly kept and bred in Asia, they sell cheaply (I saw them as recently as a few months ago for under AU$50 each and I've seen them for around AU$30), and at least until recently it was legal to import them from Asia into the USA. Many Australian species are commonly available legally in the USA.
have you seen some of the ridiculous prices in the States for Aussie Herps its huge

have you seen some of the ridiculous prices in the States for Aussie Herps its huge

For certain ones, yes. But many are starting becoming very common or at least common enough to be quite affordable to the general keeper. Some species/mutations still obviously command high prices as there are so few around. It always feels bad seeing our uncommon stuff selling for cheaper there than it does here though!

Many aussie reptiles are common here in europe, we breed them in large numbers overhere, also water dragons and forest dragons, so it it easy to find captive bred aussie reptiles at all times but cost a lot of money

I've been to expos and collections in the USA, I've worked with snakes in the USA. I'm reasonably familiar with them. Some Australian herps are cheaper there than here, some are more expensive. I can't recall seeing Australian Water Dragons there, but I have seen them in Asia over the years including as recently as early this year, and they're quite cheap in Asia, which makes me guess they'd probably be cheap in the USA (because if they were cheap in Asia and expensive in the USA, Asia would have been sending them to the USA over the last 10 years, and since they're easy to breed, the Americans would have bred them until they were cheap).

Latest posts

Back