Show us your Bobtails (Tiliqua rugosa)!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nero Egernia

Reaction score
The title says it all. Show us your Bobtails or Shinglebacks or Sleepy/Lazy/Pine-cone Lizards (phew, this lizard has quite a few names)! I actually know some people who call them goana. But more specifically, the scientific name, Tiliqua rugosa. A few people I know think they're ugly, but these guys were one of the first "pet" lizards I had and therefor are very special to me. Would love to see all the colour variations and different sub-species.

I'll begin with some pictures of one of the many wild Bobtails I've seen around my area. Tiliqua rugosa rugosa.

attachment.php

attachment.php

2009_0120Image0009.jpg

2006_1022Image0142.JPG

Last edited:
hahaha! so many names!
heres a wild one I photographed at a mates property at Cowra last weekend.
He calls them sleepies!

Attachments

• IMG_1230.jpg
    IMG_1230.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_1231.jpg
    IMG_1231.jpg
    906.4 KB · Views: 168
Beautiful animals. My favourite lizards, along with blueys.

Love these guys.

Here are a few of my breeders. Adult orange line gravid females in first pic. 2 red males and 2 orange females pic 2. Orange breeding male in pic 3. Red breeding pair pic 4.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Wally, what subspecies is that in the second photo?

Oh wow Varanophile those are amazing! If you ever have some available be sure to let me know! Those are the Goldfield's Bobtails? I am a sucker for orange and red things.

Thanks Oshkii. They are all goldfields. I will have a few sexed subadults available shortly.

Thanks Oshkii. They are all goldfields. I will have a few sexed subadults available shortly.

That sounds awesome! It would be great if you could clear out your PM box so I don't derail the thread. :p

Unknown Oshkii is all I can give you.

Can't go wrong with one of varanophiles shingles. I've been eyeing off his jaffas with some envy for awhile now. :)

stimigex aka Beeman on here was breeding some crackers a few years back. Not sure if he still is.

Last edited:
Hmm. Completely emptied my inbox yesterday to try and fix the problem. Will have another look, otherwise will pm you my details.

It's still not working. Still says your inbox is full. :|

Tried to look up Beeman but says they're suspended. Wally, was going to say that your Bobtail looked like Tiliqua rugosa aspera, but I didn't think they got brown or lighter colouring on their head. But I am no expert, it's just what I have read at any rate.

A few years back when I was camping at Rottnest Island I was super keen to see Tiliqua rugosa konowii but no luck. All I saw were heaps of quoakkas and other animals. At one beach there were a couple of cheeky King Skinks (Egernia kingii) that came out in plain sight and went so close to us, all in the name of trying to steal our fruit.

I've only been lucky enough to see 2 Rottnest island shingles in the wild. Would have to be my second favourite type after goldfields. Shame they will most likely never be available in captivity in Australia.

Here are a few of this years baby goldfields. It takes a few sheds, but the colour is really starting to come through on them.

ad854e087f237caeca48f9acdd5c9fe3_zpsodoztydb.jpg

18c35f0a4e919afe9b9eda9acfbb9a7e_zps2owjghzl.jpg

52c9eec54eaec07a5b8c944d4b2f39bc_zpszsbil4cm.jpg

Just love that one in the last picture with the white spots on it's back.

Wally, what subspecies is that in the second photo?...
It looks like a T. r. rugosa. The scales on the body are relatively smooth whereas in asper they are quite rugose. They also tend to be larger in asper with the head and body wider and more robust, but that is difficult to judge from the photo. T. r. rugosa tend to be cream or white on the ventral surface with a bit darker patterning, whereas asper tends to be mainly the same as the ground colour with little to no patterning, except maybe on the throat. But that can vary. It at east looks like it might have a predominately cream coloured ventral surface. I have seen some asper specimens on the nullabor (east and central) that have a significant amount of lighter bands of colour in them.

Varanophile, you have some really beautiful Goldfields specimens there. Good to see you are selective breeding them for the different colour tones. The offspring should prove very popular.

Thought I'll show you guys a wild Bobtail. Looks like she's had a rough and long life. Found her while we were pushing up all the dead trees and scrub on our property. Will release her probably sometime this afternoon when we're done cleaning up the place as we don't want her to get squashed!

attachment.php

Attachments

• BigBobby.jpg
    BigBobby.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 192
Oshkii, every single one of your posts makes me want a lizard!

Lizards can be even be more interesting than snakes! I should be whipped for this statement ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back