Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptileduude

Reaction score
Hi guys, so my friends dog got bitten by a red belly on tuesday and the fang marks are 2cm apart. I'm just wondering if anyone would be able to give a rough size of the snake? My friend believes it was over 2m.
Thanks

I do not have a lot of experience with rbb snakes but I would think it wasn't two meters.

Scott [MENTION=7935]eipper[/MENTION] would be the man to ask, knows his elapids and is quite a handsome bloke as well.
Andy.

very few 2m long red bellies out there...I doubt it but its not impossible.

the distance between fangs is not really reliable as there is no such thing as a "classic snake bite". Broken fangs, double fangs, scratches, single fang etc all can have dire consequences.

If the bite was from a red belly, be prepared for a long ordeal, black snakes and pet renal systems are not a good combination.

Good Luck,
Scott

Thanks mate, my friend is a vet nurse so she had close to no charge on her dog staying, it was in for 4 days but then got released.

Thanks mate, my friend is a vet nurse so she had close to no charge on her dog staying, it was in for 4 days but then got released.
Wow four days? Does anyone know if that is usual because my parents dog was bitten by a eastern brown and it was only kept in overnight.

Yeah four days would be about right as my dog was bitten by a rbb, but only by one fang and was sick for three days. We kept her still for the three days and she pulled through.

Yeah four days would be about right as my dog was bitten by a rbb, but only by one fang and was sick for three days. We kept her still for the three days and she pulled through.
Our dog never really fully recovered from his brown snake bite but they only kept him in overnight. Did your dog stay in the vets that long [MENTION=39683]ryanbichel[/MENTION] or was it sick for that long.

My toy foxie was bitten by a Whip snake, He went into shock and the hair around the bite fell out and never grew back. I was 8 hours away from any vets, mind you I was bitten by a Whip snake too(just below the ankle bone, hurt like the billio and I suffered dizziness and a little nausea)The snake didn't suffer any fatal side effects lol Although I am sure he felt a little nausea and needed to wash his mouth out lol The scabs from where the fangs/teeth punctures went in, actually indented quite a way into said wound. Took about the same length of time to heal as coral cuts on knees. Ohhh and the Toy Foxie learned his lesson and left poor snakes alone thankfully

Our dog never really fully recovered from his brown snake bite but they only kept him in overnight. Did your dog stay in the vets that long @ryanbichel or was it sick for that long.

Our dog never went to the vet because we rang the vet and said there was nothing she could do, told us to keep her still( which he venom side affects did anyway) and hope for the best. I reckon if she had of got bitten by both fangs she would have been in a lot more trouble. So to answer your question, she was sick for that long.

Our dog never went to the vet because we rang the vet and said there was nothing she could do, told us to keep her still( which he venom side affects did anyway) and hope for the best. I reckon if she had of got bitten by both fangs she would have been in a lot more trouble. So to answer your question, she was sick for that long.
Thanks , that is interesting. My dog was given antivenin and he was a large doberman so maybe that was the difference.

our dog is a large Doberman cross Labrador. I think the vet had no antivenom, and round here its expensive, so if the vet thought she had a chance to pull through, than we just have to take the risk

our dog is a large Doberman cross Labrador. I think the vet had no antivenom, and round here its expensive, so if the vet thought she had a chance to pull through, than we just have to take the risk
I was actually home when my parents dog was bitten, he was notorious for bailing up snakes in tufts of grass (barking) but didn't usually bite them. This time I was chopping wood for the fire after getting home from school and he was hunting around the paddock looking for snakes. I could tell that he had a snake bailed up because of his tone in his bark so called him back to the house and he only got 50m from where he was and he collapsed in the paddock. I did not see the snake but had seen browns around before and the only other common snake that I had seen were yellowed faced whip snakes and GTS so I figured it was a brown. I grabbed the car and raced through the paddock to pick him up and rushed him to the vets. His bite site (one fang scratch) on the nose was bleeding and not clotting and he frothed at the mouth. The vet asked what snake it was and I didn;t really know but said pretty sure it was a brown. They said the antivenin was very expensive and was I sure. I told them I didn't care about the cost but was pretty sure it was a brown, they tested the blood (clotting I think) then administered the antivenin and kept our dog in overnight.

Our dog never really fully recovered from his brown snake bite but they only kept him in overnight. Did your dog stay in the vets that long @ryanbichel or was it sick for that long.

Hi [MENTION=34534]andynic07[/MENTION] sorry to go OT but may I ask what symptoms he's been left with from the bite?

Last edited:
Hi @andynic07 sorry to go OT but may I ask what symptoms he's been left with from the bite?
Hi, physically there were no visible long term effects but his demeanour just was not the same. It was almost like he turned into an old dog overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back