snake boarding?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xuxu1

Reaction score
Hi there,
I'll be heading overseas for several weeks and I'm looking for someone to look after my Stimson's python in the Melbourne area.

The usual pet boarding places/sites don't seem to be suitable for reptiles and while I found a local reptile store that would be able to keep him in their showroom, it's a rather pricey option.

Would anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?

Many thanks!
Xuxu

As it's heading into winter I wouldn't worry too much. Change your heat regime to a couple of hours a day and it should be fine. It won't need to eat for weeks.

As it's heading into winter I wouldn't worry too much. Change your heat regime to a couple of hours a day and it should be fine. It won't need to eat for weeks.
Thanks a lot for the quick reply and advice @dragonlover1 !

I wouldn't hesitate for 3-4 weeks, but I'll be away for 7 weeks. The snake is well fed and I guess it could get an extra mouse before I leave, but I am entering uncharted territory for me (I never left it alone for more than 2 weeks). Even if food is not an issue with reduced temperature, what about water? Even a larger bowl could dry up or go bad?
I know pythons can survive the harshest environments for the longest time, but I don't have the experience or confidence to say when a reasonable fasting period turns into a fight for survival.

I'd suggest just getting a friend to pop in every 1-2 weeks to fill the water and check the heating etc is still working.

I'd avoid a pet shop due to the quarantine risk. I have no idea how much money they'd ask for but I'd be much more comfortable leaving a snake unattended for 7 weeks than have it stay in a pet shop environment for that long, unless it's a hatchling.

If it's a well-fed adult 7 weeks won't be a problem in terms of feed. If it's a hatchling you'll want it to be actively cared for.

@Sdaji I haven't considered any quarantine risk, that's a good point. The quote I have is $10 per day, which adds up quickly for that time period....

My snake is a 2 year old male and I think a bit on the chubby side (always hungry and looking/begging for food ;-) ).

I did consider getting someone to come by the house, but everyone I know is rather scared of snakes. Perhaps I can at least convince one of them to just have a look (without opening the enclosure).

Thanks very much for the info and assurance!

@Sdaji I haven't considered any quarantine risk, that's a good point. The quote I have is $10 per day, which adds up quickly for that time period....

My snake is a 2 year old male and I think a bit on the chubby side (always hungry and looking/begging for food ;-) ).

I did consider getting someone to come by the house, but everyone I know is rather scared of snakes. Perhaps I can at least convince one of them to just have a look (without opening the enclosure).

Thanks very much for the info and assurance!

For an adult male at this time of year, especially if he's on the heavier side, I would be very happy not to feed (I would be stopping about now anyway and not feeding until about September/October, no harm going a little longer).

$500 or so is a lot of money to put your snake in a risky situation being cared for by kids on minimum wage.

Considering no feeding is needed, I'd definitely just get a friend to come check on him every week or two, assuming you're using reliable heating (not CHEs or heat globes). If your thermostat and heat mat or cord are in good order, you'll be fine. You could literally even just get away with one or two checks for water while you're away as long as your setup is good. If he's not feeding he shouldn't be defecating so the water should be safe.

@Sdaji thanks very much again for the advice!

As long as no feeding or snake handling is involved, I am sure I can convince my friend. And I have a quite solid setup that never caused any issues.

That helped a lot and I feel much better now. Thanks!

@Sdaji thanks very much again for the advice!

As long as no feeding or snake handling is involved, I am sure I can convince my friend. And I have a quite solid setup that never caused any issues.

That helped a lot and I feel much better now. Thanks!

Happy I could help put your mind at rest :)

For sure, a quick temperature check and water should be all they need to do :)

A few years ago I went overseas around this time of year for just over 9 weeks. I organised a friend to do exactly as @Sdaji has suggested, with the difference being he only came over just once - at the halfway mark of my absence. I returned and not one snake had died, and none was showing any sign of stress - and I had more than 30 snakes at the time (I have many more now!).
Importantly, none was younger than 2 years old. Hatchies and small juvies would need more frequent attention.
So if your snake is reasonably advanced in size and in good condition, there's good reason to be confident that it will be fine if it's checked and watered as suggested.

Thanks very much to all of you!

My friend agreed to come by the house once a week (mainly to check on the plants and) to keep an eye on the snake, even agreed to do water top-ups ;-)
I'll look into water dispenser though, just in case (thanks @highlander969 )

Hi there,
I'll be heading overseas for several weeks and I'm looking for someone to look after my Stimson's python in the Melbourne area.

The usual pet boarding places/sites don't seem to be suitable for reptiles and while I found a local reptile store that would be able to keep him in their showroom, it's a rather pricey option.

Many thanks!
Xuxu
Hi, Im in Melbourne and have s Stimsons too. Even though it's winter and she wouldn't eat i would still have the water changed every 3 days or so. If youre not too far from me I would drop by or otherwise if the enclosure is easily moved she can board at mine. Im good with animals and reliable,, Rob

Hi there,

Many thanks!
Xuxu
Oops i just saw a friend would drop by. Good option as they dont really like their homes neing moved to another location. Id recommend the friend not just top up the water but change it. The bottom of my bowl gets a bit slimy after a few days. Glad you got a good option, Rob

Latest posts

Back