Snake enclosure advice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serpentsalem

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi All!
Hope you’re all well!

So I’m just after some advice -
I currently have just over a year old Stimsons Python and just over a Year old Bredli Python.

I was just wondering what you would say the correct sizing of enclosures would be for both of these - as I think it’s time to size them up - well definitely my Stimson anyway.
Also wondering what kind of enclosure you would suggest? I’ve heard a lot that glass enclosures are no good and I know of a couple people that say they are better of with a large plastic tub set up as it’s easier to control humidity etc.

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks so much! X

It depends. It depends on where you are and what you're looking for. I like the glass as it looks nice and it's easy to clean. I'm in Perth and heating isn't really an issue in my house as it doesn't take much to get temperatures right. I've just gone the pet-shop purchase exoterra ones with the little click-lock at the front (important as I have a kid). And my guy is as you walk in my house at the front, so I really like the pretty display as I walk in. My snake doesn't care. He's got water, a warm hide, a cool hide, a stick and a shelf. He's as happy as a snake can be.
Most keepers I know use heat mats or cords for cost efficiency.
Someone else is going to tell you something different now!

Hi Serpentsalem
I agree, it depends on where you live and were you intend to keep them. Im from that cold wasteland, the south east, so i built fully insulated wooden enclosures. I use heat cord or mats through a thermostat for under floor heating. 40 or 60 watt incandescent bulbs on a timer and dimmer switch for day / night cycle and additional daytime heat. Good luck.

It depends. It depends on where you are and what you're looking for. I like the glass as it looks nice and it's easy to clean. I'm in Perth and heating isn't really an issue in my house as it doesn't take much to get temperatures right. I've just gone the pet-shop purchase exoterra ones with the little click-lock at the front (important as I have a kid). And my guy is as you walk in my house at the front, so I really like the pretty display as I walk in. My snake doesn't care. He's got water, a warm hide, a cool hide, a stick and a shelf. He's as happy as a snake can be.
Most keepers I know use heat mats or cords for cost efficiency.
Someone else is going to tell you something different now!

Latest posts

Back