Snake gender identification

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Python

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
How important is it to know the gender of your snake?

Depends if it’s a pet or ifyou’re planning to use it to breed

if it’s a pet it has almost 0 effects not knowing

if you’re planning to breed and you don’t know what sex it is, it’ll be a tough 3 years watching it grow to find out it’s not a female like you wanted for your male, sadly it happens, some breeders will sell animals as wrong sexes

That's tough indeed. Apparently, that's the reason why females cost more than males.

That's tough indeed. Apparently, that's the reason why females cost more than males.
Yes also because 1 male can breed with up to 6 females in 1 season, where as a female can really only breed with 1 male per seasons (unless you want a mixed bag of “idk which male successfully mated you”)

There is clearly a wide distinction, a big thing to consider if the intention is to breed. Thanks so much for sharing your expertise. Surely, I'm a bit smarter now.😊

Depends if it’s a pet or ifyou’re planning to use it to breed

if it’s a pet it has almost 0 effects not knowing

if you’re planning to breed and you don’t know what sex it is, it’ll be a tough 3 years watching it grow to find out it’s not a female like you wanted for your male, sadly it happens, some breeders will sell animals as wrong sexes
Hmm so if your not a breeder it doesn't matter, really, so you refer to them as it rather than he or she, also apparently females can have a clutch of unfertilised eggs like chooks and if you love your snake I think most people would rather know unless there just objects

I think it matters but purely up to the individual, I took my diamond to a experienced reptile vet when he was 2mnths old and now know he is a he and not a she

Latest posts

Back