Snake head size

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave82

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have heard that the growth of the snakes head is directly correlated with the size of its prey but also that giving prey that is too big is dangerous for the snake. Are these true? What is a good percentage to work with on prety to snake?

help!

a good way to go if ur not sure on wat size to feed and dont have much experience, look at the fattest part of the snakes body and if the prey is same size or smaller its not dangerous and should b an ok sized feed,
this should b ok 4 most snakes!

yeah i was told that the food shouldn't make much of a buldge in the thickest part of the snake but i'm only very new to this as well

cheers
James

I'm no expert but if you can see a buldge thats good if not than give it a bit more to eat. A reasonable sized meal should leave a buldge in its stomach and if you think the snake is still hungry just offer it another rat/mouse and if the first meal wasnt sufficient than it will eat the second one, no worries. I wouldnt say there is any percentage that you could go by as snakes also have preferences as to what size they will eat. Sometimes small snakes like large food and large snakes like small food. I have one snake who is no more than 120cms long and no fatter than a childs wrist but is only interested in his food if like 8 times the size of his head! But, well he gets it down no problems so what can i do? :)

I think we hav all seen pictures on the web of snaks eating large meals such as monkeys, humans, dogs, kangeroos, deers and so on so you dont have to be too worried about the fact that the snake is not going to cope with the food. There are some issues regarding feeding larger prey items on hotter days that i have recently heard as the food can deteriate faster than the snake can digest it which could make the snake sick but thats a whole other topic.

I cannot comment on the growth as that still puzzles me at times but I'm sure someone will have something useful to say about it.:)

Is a buldge anything like a bludge? Or more like a bulge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back