Snake ID - No photo but description available

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

icedmice

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I went bushwalking with my dog today at the back of Rosemedow (Macarthur region). There are some small patches of suburban bushland, home to the endangered Cumberland Plain Snail and I finally found a live one today *woot* .

About the snake:

I found an old black tarp dumped just a little off the trail, when I lifted it I found a really fat cockroach and a cumberland plain snail :) as well as a suprise. I was so thrilled to finally find a live snail that I almost missed our little buddy sitting on top of the overturned tarp. I was thrilled to be so privelaged to spot him because he doesn't appear to be a typical snake people find in their back shed. It stayed dead still as I studied him for about a minute before leaving him be and replacing the tarp in it's original position. Could kick myself for not bringing a camera, but at least I know where I can find him.

Discription:
The snake is very small about 20cm in length with a black head which progressively turns copper from the back of the skull. The scales are laced with a darker edge and lighter in the middle. It has a small bright yellowey-brown patch at the back of it's head. It's head is tiny, about the size of a baked bean LOL, I'm assuming it's diet may possibly consist of the variety of small skinks that inhabit the area. The body is quite thick and plump (he'd probably just eaten too) probably about as thick as three standard pencils. I'm usure if it was a juvenile or not.

Habitat:
The enviornment had a lot of undergrowth, it was very grassy with a lot of leaf litter but well shaded under a canopy of gumtrees (reptile heaven).

I'm seeking the net to see if I can find a photo with a likeness, closest I could find was the dwarf crowned snake, it has a similar body type but the "crowning" was more like a elongated symetrical blob than a 'crown' on the snake I found. Plus I don't think they inhabit so far south (Campbelltwon area). Is there a similar species that would match my description.

I hope I see him again :) .

EDIT: Actually guys I did a bit more research of the crowned snake and I think I may have answered my own question. I've found some photos which closely resemble the snake I found it appears some members of the cacophis family may inhabit as far south as Campbelltown. WOW what I find!
A plains snail and a crowned snake under one tarp... Jackpot!!! Plus a complimentry fat roach LOL. I must bring my camera bushwalking more often.

Last edited:
well never mind then

Attachments

• Red-Naped.jpg
    Red-Naped.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 36
  • mn003905.jpg
    mn003905.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 40
Yeah he's a little like your second photo Ty but the crown was brighter and he was fatter, but like I said he probabaly had a good meal after the rain we just had. He was also a bit lighter in colour. But I guess that can depend on the location, how far into a shed etc .

I'm rubbing it in to my cousin now who was excited to find mayflies on a bushwalk :|, seriously, mayflies ..... my finds eat his finds for breakfast :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back