Snake ID please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tropicbreeze

Reaction score
What's the possibility of getting a good ID from these photos? I think it's Demansia papuensis which is common in the area - about 50 kms south of Darwin. I understand Demansia atra is also in the area, but I can't differentiate between the two. It's active during the day. The area is a bit scrubby with Melaleuca and tall Acacia, with swamp and creek nearby but still dry at the time photos taken.

This I think is the same but it was about 120 kms south of Darwin. It was chasing a Carlia skink. Missed out on its dinner and the Carlia lived to see another day. The area was cleared grazing land with sparse pockets of residual scrub or regrowth.

Thanks in advance for any help with an ID.

They are both very much alike but just going off the first lot of photos I can't see any spotting around the snout/nose so without having it in hand to count the ventrals I'd say Lesser Black Whip (Demansia vestigiata) Which was previously D atra. Can't tell which one the second one is.

Last edited:
Thanks for those comments. It's always a bit difficult getting close enough to a Whip Snake to get a photo let alone flipping it over to get the ventrals. The same snake seems to hang around here a bit so might get the opportunity to get some better photos later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back