Snake in the roof Perth suburbs Help!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leebee

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Snake in the roof Perth suburbs Help! SOLVED

After hearing noises in the roof I went up for a look and was surprised to see 3 small fresh reptile droppings. I live next to Canning River in Thornlie. My question is would a young dugite live up there? Could it be a python in the burbs?? I am worried. I see baby dugites nearly every spring.

Last edited:
On what basis did you conclude they were reptile droppings?
Dugites are not climbers so unless the house roof is somehow diectly accessible from ground level they are not from dugites. In terms of snakes, SW Carpets are the only likely candidate and they would have to be three hatchlings to to leave three small fresh droppings. Carpets are not common in the area and do not tend to make much noise.
If a reptile, it sounds more likely to be a Black Headed Monitor (Varanus tristis) which are known to occupy roof spaces and are noisy residents at times. To stop it, the best way is to work out how it is getting in and block the entrance off with aviary wire or the like.

I hope that alleviates your concerns and is of some help.

Blue

Got a Stimson and droppings exactly same. I meant fresh as in recent not years old. Makes total sense about monitor. I heard sound like claws on plaster with dragging sounds. I thought it was possum it was so loud. Thanks didn't think of that. We get a lot of king skink around here so I didn't think Monitor. Phew!!! Hope your right.

If you jump to the conclusion and say it is a snake the chances are its a python of some sort. So with very little everdence we decided its a python it's up there for a reason warmth food source ect. The chance is you have rodents in your roof and that's the scratching noise and this Python is up there eating them.
for me I'd take a Python in my roof any day over rats or the likes.
And when the food source drys up it will move on on its own accord.
if it is a snake up there eating rats it's saving you a lot of trouble and $$$ by getting rid of them for you

Unlikely to be a python on the west coast, especially in the suburbs. Whilst pythons in roofs are a frequent occurrence on the east coast, not so in WA. I agree that it is most likely Varanus tristis, they commonly live in roof spaces in the outer suburbs of Perth. If you don't want it there, make sure it is not in the roof before you block access.

Jamie

Roof mystery solved, A SURPRISE!

Thanks all for your suggestions. Well out of curiosity I installed a little camera up there and some food and water. Sure enough today 12pm I see a lovely big King's Skink taking his lunch- some dog food, and a drink, before slowly wandering off out of view. At this time of year we always get the skinks around the house, I removed the same one 3 times in 5 days from my terrified neighbors garage last year(it had lost a couple of toes so I could recognise it). The only way into her house is along the road, up a long concrete driveway and along the yard to her shed. We both have chooks but I have dogs so I recon it bypassed my house to go to hers for the food. I have previously had a lizard hiding in junk at my gate in the drive for days-which is close to chook house, but my dog kept sensing it there and barking. Last year this time I also had one repeatedly on my verandah for weeks-I have an aquarium there. I fed him a few times, they are VERY shy and fast runners, I had to put my video camera on to watch. Then it just dissappeared. Several years ago my neighbor 3 doors up found one dead UNDER HIS PILLOW!! Sadly I think it probably was poisened by snail baits. My house has pretty smooth bricks and the mortar fills the cracks, and nothing I could think to climb up on so they are better climbers than thought!

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
Thanks for letting us know.

After I read about the king skinks, I began to wonder, as they have been known to occupy the odd out-house but I have not heard of them living in roof cavities. I wonder what the attraction up there was? They normally shelter in tight secure places. Do you have a flowering plant growing over part of the roof? Maybe it is a convenient temporary refuge from the dog? Yeah, they are pretty good at climbing even vertical rock faces and tree trunks. And pretty damn quick from a standing start, despite the size they get to.

Clever thinking with the camera. Glad you can now rest easier.

Blue

Hi Blue, the only thing I can think of is the animal was trying to find a way to the chook houses and thought up and over might be worth a try. There were also a few fresh rat droppings in the roof and I imagine a nest of tender pinkies or some baby rats would go down a treat for a hungry skink so maybe he decided to stay a while. There could also be some raids to the hen houses and fruit trees going on, we live in a joined duplex and the roof would be ideal spot to access both yards. My dogs are indoors mostly and only small so who knows? There are no plants or bushes up the house BTW. They just seem to go nuts at this time of year, rarely seen otherwise. Maybe males with the sap rising! Very interesting animals, they are one of the few reptiles that seem to live in family groups. There used to be PVC pipes set in the kerbing that went underground about 15 meters down to the bush/river, for road drainage. There would often be one large skink basking its head on the road, with another smaller animal tucked up next to it in the pipe. Sadly the road was upgraded and those huge open style drains with 15cm high and 1M wide opening at the kerb installed. I think they must be a disaster for wildlife, the kerb funnels them along untill they fall into the drain, they have a very deep concrete sleve with a sump around 45cm deeper than the outlet pipe, so essentially a death trap for most.
Also forgot to add it is an old house, the insulations -several types over the years, are evrywhere. Some lazy b@5+@# "installed" foil backed insulation by draping it evrywhere over all the beams, so lots of lovely snuggly places to hide for many creatures.

Last edited:
Hey Blue, you wouldnt believe, that damn King's Skink is still in my roof, 5 weeks now, nested right over my bedroom. It scuffles around (waking up?) around 9 or 10am depending on the temp, and then somehow makes its exit from the roof, I suspect down between the double brick wall cavity between our duplex, under the house and out and about somewhere. I found this out because I had visions of it trapped and starving up there so raked the sand under the house smooth near the under-floor access hole (house is on limestone block foundations) and placed some fruits. Sure enough, fruits gone and tracks of lizard. I would really like it to move out, not a healthy thing for me or lizard. Have contacted local reptile people but only advice is lure it out and block access. But cant find access??
I am new to this forum Blue, do you know the best way I could perhaps post this problem and get some advice on trapping the skink in the roof? I have access to a regular wire type trap but these skink have very long tail so worried it would get caught in this trap. Any ideas????

Update, the skink is still there, it has had many offspring. I am getting new insulation soon, it's gonna have to go! It has also made a big excavation under the house foundations. Cheeky!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back