Snake Log/Diary Suggestions?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

potatoleeksoup

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a new way to log my python's behaviours (e.g. feeds, shedding, etc.), and I was wondering if anyone can vouch for a database or system that they also use? I've just been writing it down in a physical notebook but I think it's time to retire that method. I was possibly thinking of an excel spreadsheet but not sure how I'd go about that.

Any and all suggestions are welcome!!

Back in the 90s I upgraded from notebooks to spreadsheets. Looking back, I'm surprised at how long I kept bothering, I recorded every single feed of every snake for my first few years, even when I had dozens of snakes, but eventually it became impossible. In hindsight I don't know why I bothered collecting so much data.

But, if you're going to for whatever reason, a spreadsheet is the best thing to use. There are various programs designed for this purpose, but if you have any ability to think and analyse, you'll do better setting out your own spreadsheet, and if you don't, there's no point collecting the data anyway. Spreadsheets allow you to do all sorts of things. I probably still have my old files on a backup somewhere, they show the mass of feed eaten over time, growth rates, which you can easily graph and make comparisons with, etc etc. It was fun for a nerdy teenager but really didn't bring any tangible benefit other than entertainment. By the time you've collected data on enough snakes to even think about making any remotely meaningful analyses you'll have enough experience for that data to be redundant.

Short answer: spreadsheet, and have fun :)

Check out an app called
HUSBANDRY PRO

Will track literally everything you could ever want to keep track of.

Thank you for your response! I guess I just needed some validation, I started one shortly after posting this.

I only have the one python (for the time being) and he is my first so I am still just a little bit wary and will use it for my own peace of mind. I may have trauma from uni constantly demanding to prove and discuss my data so maybe thats where my need to know stems from ?

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back