Snake with scale rot when to start bathing

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ccrystal

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I received two snakes less than a week ago but when I brought them home I realised they had scale rot. I’m planning a vet visit for them both in two weeks but my main question is, when would I start treating it? Would I wait a week for them to settle in or start treatment straight away?

Any information or advice is appreciated, thank you.

Attachments

• E306CDDC-1A5B-4F9C-AA5D-1D7679963226.jpeg
    E306CDDC-1A5B-4F9C-AA5D-1D7679963226.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I'd take them to the vet sooner - why wait 2 weeks? Have you treated scale rot before?
I'm not an expert...and the photo is only a partial of one snake, so really hard to give good advice! Yes, very important to let snakes settle in, but also it's important not to let them get an infection - so vet is always the best bet if you're not sure!
When did they shed last?
I'm assuming that the enclosure is nice, new, clean set up as you've only just got them? Probably start by removing all the "bits and bobs" and just have simple hides (one cool, one warm) and keep the substrate to a simple paper towel to be able to change it frequently and reduce re-contamination.
Are they in the same enclosure?

I'd take them to the vet sooner - why wait 2 weeks? Have you treated scale rot before?
I'm not an expert...and the photo is only a partial of one snake, so really hard to give good advice! Yes, very important to let snakes settle in, but also it's important not to let them get an infection - so vet is always the best bet if you're not sure!
When did they shed last?
I'm assuming that the enclosure is nice, new, clean set up as you've only just got them? Probably start by removing all the "bits and bobs" and just have simple hides (one cool, one warm) and keep the substrate to a simple paper towel to be able to change it frequently and reduce re-contamination.
Are they in the same enclosure?
I’ll try to answer all your questions in order.
1. I have to wait two weeks as there’s a waiting list at most reptile vets after the Adelaide lockdown forced all vets to cancel non emergency appointments, so now there’s a bit of a wait.
2. I’ve never treated it before but I know what to do, my main concern is when to start treating it. I don’t want to stress them out by bathing them in the first week.
3. I don’t know when they shed last, the shop didn’t have them for that long.
4. I’ll attach pictures of the tanks, the tanks and everything in them gets cleaned once a week. The plastic container water bowls are very temporary, I’m picking up ceramic bowls tomorrow.
5. They were cohabitated at the shop (I didn’t buy them, my dad did and I had to pick them up, I currently take care of them as they were a ‘gift’ to me) I no longer cohabitate them.

I was also told that they were both two years old, but the female is a lot smaller than the male. My best guess is that she’s younger, as she’s not thin.

Attachments

• A6D779D4-FF9E-4ADB-A5E1-BD7DA4BF3503.jpeg
    A6D779D4-FF9E-4ADB-A5E1-BD7DA4BF3503.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 3DBB176A-47D4-488A-B9B6-C2D3E2657368.jpeg
    3DBB176A-47D4-488A-B9B6-C2D3E2657368.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 6D60E317-E327-4AB7-A0C9-385A458760C6.jpeg
    6D60E317-E327-4AB7-A0C9-385A458760C6.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 12
I'm just going to say - I'm no expert.
I'd just keep on keeping-on. It doesn't look that bad. If anything, maybe just getting a few yucko scales before a shed? If they're apparently happy, feeding ok and you're keeping their enclosure clean and fresh water, I'd wait it out until they do a shed before you start to panic.
Your set up looks good. Plastic is fine - it is easy to clean! They don't care (ceramic is nicer looking for us humies!)
My Stimmy loves a warm bath, but I wouldn't suggest bothering them or anything until you've been to the vet. Let them settle in and don't stress.

I'm just going to say - I'm no expert.
I'd just keep on keeping-on. It doesn't look that bad. If anything, maybe just getting a few yucko scales before a shed? If they're apparently happy, feeding ok and you're keeping their enclosure clean and fresh water, I'd wait it out until they do a shed before you start to panic.
Your set up looks good. Plastic is fine - it is easy to clean! They don't care (ceramic is nicer looking for us humies!)
My Stimmy loves a warm bath, but I wouldn't suggest bothering them or anything until you've been to the vet. Let them settle in and don't stress.
thank you :) the only reason i’m getting ceramic is because when they’re exploring the tanks they tend to tip it over easily and i’m scared that when that happens overnight and i’m sleeping it can worsen their condition. Other than that, they’re doing great, they haven’t eaten yet but that’s fine, I’ll try again this weekend and hope they eat.

It doesn't look too bad. I've had snakes come in with far worse skin. Usually it comes from a combination of cold, damp and dirty conditions.

I would not bathe.

Keep them in a warm, clean, dry (not in terms of humidity, just make sure there are no wet surfaces) enclosure. Once they go from poor conditions to good conditions it usually only takes one slough to be mostly better and a second to be fully recovered even in severe cases, but yours is very mild. People who have no relevant experience will always shout 'Vet ASAP!' but a trip to the vet is just an expensive way to stress the snake in a case like this.

Back